What's new

Please Help Me Decide: Not Sure If I Want To Switch Just Yet

shalamigri

Reaction score
Hello to all.

I'm new to this forum and was hoping to get a little help.

I currently have an Android (EVO), but everyone else in my house has either an iphone, ipod or itouch.

Since I'm the one who always has to come to the rescue when they need help with getting their device setup, I have mixed emotions about making a switch to the Iphone.

My main issue is that I REALLY don't like having to use Itunes to get media to these devices. With my EVO, I just plug it in to my computer and it mounts like a hard drive. I hear that there is 3rd party software available to achieve this, but I really don't want to hack my iphone (if I get one) or also have to use unconventional methods just to get files to my device.

To be quite honest, I find it very disturbing that I need to setup a library in Itunes just to get music or other media to my device. I'll take my daughter for example. She recently bought a Mac laptop. On her old Windows laptop, she had music and media files ALL over the place! All of her music was neatly organized on to her Ipod though. Since she was making a switch to a new laptop, it would have been nice if I could have simply plugged her ipod into her new MAC and have her library copied over to her new laptop. From what I've heard, this just isn't possible. Since her music wasn't copied to her new MAC, if she had lost her ipod or broken it, her music would have been gone forever. That's not what happened though. I was able to manually move her library over to her new computer and got things synced up ok. She's actually becoming quite knowledgeable about her ipod, but my wife and kids, well, that's another story.

Are there any other ways to get media tho these devices without having to use Itunes?

I like the Iphone because it just seems to run smoother and the battery life seems to be MUCH better than my EVO. I just want to have more control over how I get media to and from a device like the Iphone.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Get copy trans manager if you plan on getting the iphone as well. It utilizes the drag and drop methods that you are use to. No need for jailbreak

Sent from my SGH-T999 using iPhone Forums

Thanks for that info, iCrank. I may have heard of that one in the past -- can't remember, but if it can actually drag/drop, thenI'll be all over it. Hate iTunes, just like the OP.

Get copy trans manager if you plan on getting the iphone as well. It utilizes the drag and drop methods that you are use to. No need for jailbreak

OK, iCrank, for my info before I download and install on my PC, will this program simply "discover" my iPhone in the USB slot, then treat it as a hard drive?

EWyatt said:
OK, iCrank, for my info before I download and install on my PC, will this program simply "discover" my iPhone in the USB slot, then treat it as a hard drive?

It will discover your iphone its a program that allows to just drag and drop. It's very easy.

Thanks for the reply icrank.

I just tried this software on my younger daughters ipod and it seems to be a good solution.

I successfully transfered over music files. I haven't tried videos or other general files though.

Personally...I don't see the issue with itunes as many here have.I too have always done things different...being the android go to guy in my home and at work..but..dealing with the Iphone is really quite simple with itunes the more I use it. Sure it has limitations and dragging and dropping is easier I suppose when you used to doing it only 1 way..however it does a good job for me and all 4 gig of music and 15 gig of movies I have moved over to it.It is easy as hell to drag & drop into my library..organize it anyway I want..and have it there

As to loosing your data music pictures hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong...but I thought syncing it through I tunes on your computer backed all this up for you automatically to your computer and gave you the option of what was backed up and repushed to the phone...I mean that's how it has worked for me recently ? I honestly don't see the issue of how all of my phones content is organized through Itunes..to me it makes it easier to keep things in their place and trim out what I am not using..They have a ton of different things to use in it along with the Icloud storage to stream to all of your I devices from what I've seen..Apple - iTunes - Learn about the features of iTunes 10....so loosing all of your apps and musics/movies and what ever else is not a issue at all..

While all of this is certainly foriegn to a die hard android person..(it was to me till just recently)..I am starting to get the hang of it..and it is not so strange or difficult. While I am stock with mine..you will be able to JB yours if you want and change things around just as you did on on your evo

Good Luck

Mac

I would prefer iPhone over Android - just for the simplicity that iOS offers in user experience. Despite the fact that having an iPhone often means that you have to put up with iTunes.