What's new

HELP! I'm stuck on the screen with the itunes logo and usb cable!

nikkibaby22

Reaction score
Hello All,

I've been attempting to unlock and jailbreak my iphone 3GS, which was on 4.2.1 and I thought I did correctly at first, but then realized that I need to upgrade the baseband! But now when I plug my iphone in, iTunes tells me that I can't use it until I restore it and updgrade to 5.1 which I really don't want to do! The phone itself is stuck on the screen with the usb cord and itunes even when its not plugged into my computer, and it will only let me make emergency calls. I tried to use Tiny Umbrella, but I couldn't really figure it out.
Does anyone know how I can restore it back to the original settings it had before I messed with it? OR atleast make it so I don't have to upgrade the firmware?
Thank you so much!

nikkibaby22 said:
Hello All,

I've been attempting to unlock and jailbreak my iphone 3GS, which was on 4.2.1 and I thought I did correctly at first, but then realized that I need to upgrade the baseband! But now when I plug my iphone in, iTunes tells me that I can't use it until I restore it and updgrade to 5.1 which I really don't want to do! The phone itself is stuck on the screen with the usb cord and itunes even when its not plugged into my computer, and it will only let me make emergency calls. I tried to use Tiny Umbrella, but I couldn't really figure it out.
Does anyone know how I can restore it back to the original settings it had before I messed with it? OR atleast make it so I don't have to upgrade the firmware?
Thank you so much!

Your on Windows PC not Mac rite?

Of so....download iFaith v1.4.2.

Extract to desktop, make sure the iFaith.exe is extracted to desktop or drag it there after the folder is opened.

Open iFaith, plug in device. Click on "Dump SHSH Blons"

Follow the instructions.

Download the 4.2.1 IPSW. Create a signed IPSW with those iFaith SHSH blobs, and your 4.2.1 IPSW.

you must enter PWNED DFU Mode before restoring. In iFaith click the "iReb PWNED DFU" button. Follow the instructions til you get the success message saying you have entered PWNED DFU mode.

Open iTunes, hold down the shift key on keyboard and click the restore button simultaneously.

Navigate to the iFaith IPSW on your desktop.

It will restore to 4.2.1. At least now your phone is in a useable state.

After you tallest get you phone functional from te methods I mentioned above...I'll try to help ya get to an unlockable firmware.

But first...restore to a signed iFaith 4.2.1 IPSW.

Hi, so thank you so much for your help btw...but it didn't work! I downloaded iFaith and did what you said, and went through the instructions to enter dfu but the screen on the phone stays blank the whole time and then ifaith says "you failed to enter dfu. please try again". I tried about 3 more times, so I don't know what to do? DO you think i permanently oops it up somehow? eeek!

Last edited:
No...I don't think so...I would edit your post tho..they don't like swearing here.lol.

But any way......try to enter PWNED DFU by jut entering DFU Mode regularly. Then open iFaith, click on iREB, and wait and see if it recognizes it.

I have had that problem,. Where it took well over 6-7 tries to get it to work...I wouldn't give up after just 3 tries.

If it still does not work, go to ih8sn0w.com and downed the iREB application.

Download it from a different browser from what you normally do not use too.

Open iREB, enter DFU Mode, and click on your device model.

See if it will put your device in PWNED DFU.

By entering DFU Mode regularly, do you mean without it being plugged in and without iFaith? I guess I'll just have ot keep trying. Thank you!!

nikkibaby22 said:
By entering DFU Mode regularly, do you mean without it being plugged in and without iFaith? I guess I'll just have ot keep trying. Thank you!!

By entering DFU Mode regularly i mean plug in your phone, shut off device,

Once shut down, press the power and home button simultaneously for 10 seconds....rite when you get to 10, let go of the power button, and keep holding the home button until you here you computer beep.

Then run iREB.