What's new

HELP: At a loss

n46krb

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have repaired iPhone's for people before WITH much success. But I can't figure this one out for the life of me. It's out of waranty first of all. I've had it about 2 months from the owner so I'd really like to get it back to him.

It was a MESS, got ran over by a truck. Front and back was smashed but phone worked fine! Accept that the back and front was smashed and the home button didn't work.

Replaced LCD screen and back cover, not a problem. Replaced Home button with brand new one, wouldn't work. Replaced dock connector with brand new one, still no activity from the home button. It charges fine and works with iTunes so I know the new dock connector works. It picked up in iTunes, I restored it and set it up and all that. Just the Home button will not work. I'm at a loss. What else could it be? It's the GSM model. Thanks.

The fault can lie anywhere....from a faulty new home button to a microscopic crack on the main board...your best bet to track and identify the problem is to get hold of a fully working identical model and simply swap components between the two handsets until the fault is located

Hi. I don't think it's a faulty home button. The problem was with the original home button. I replaced it with 2 brand new ones and I got the same problem. So I replaced the dock connector and I thought for sure I would get it to work. Upon inspection, the mainboard seems to be fine, no cracks. Like I said, I can't see it being that because the charging dock works perfect ... and the phone works fine accept for the home button...

You could jailbreak and download a gesture type of tweak that some owners use when their home button is faulty !

Just a thought if you cant remedy the issue.

You could jailbreak and download a gesture type of tweak that some owners use when their home button is faulty !

Just a thought if you cant remedy the issue.

I'm very famalrier with the iPhone and the hardware side of things, but I have never jailbroken. Care to tell me how?
Also, I'd really like it if someone can give me some inpuit. So far only 2 ppl replied to me. Someone must know something to do. I figured it was either the Home button or the dock connector and I've replaced both. I just don't get it. And the logic board doesn't have anything to do with those 2 parts directly , right? Because the Home button is dependant on the dock connector. Which seems to be working fine, the phone is charging and it's a new dock connector as I mentioned. So I don't get it?

This worked for some people.Maybe for you too."Open a default iOS application, such as Stocks, Calculator, or Weather
Press and hold down the Power button until the “Slide to Power Off” dialog appears, then release
Now press and hold the Home button until the “Slide to Power Off” screen disappears, force quitting the application"

Thanks but that isn't working because the home but doesn't work at all, remember?
I did try it anyway but it will not work. There is no activity from the home button. Could someone tell me how to jailbreak?

Look in the iPhone hacking and jailbreaking section of the forum.

Thanks. I'm new to jail breaking though. I went there and I see different versions listed. I understand to look for the green, untethered versions. But which is the right one to pick? I have an iphone 4 GSM model. I see different names/versions of jail breaking methods/software to use...
And how will this help me in getting the home button to function?

If you are on ios 5.1.1 then use the Absinthe method.That's just my opinion.Wait for more responses and then decide.

n46krb said:
Thanks. I'm new to jail breaking though. I went there and I see different versions listed. I understand to look for the green, untethered versions. But which is the right one to pick? I have an iphone 4 GSM model. I see different names/versions of jail breaking methods/software to use...
And how will this help me in getting the home button to function?

I would use the DFU Redsn0w method. @zig9449 said it was better. I also agree

No need to jailbreak to bypass home button if you don't want... Go to Settings>General> Accessibility>Assistive Touch to "On" Good luck