What's new

Heads up on keeping your Unlimited Plan

iTazm0n

Reaction score
When I was in Best Buy (SF Bay Area) picking up my phone the AT&T rep there said the AT&T processing server (she called it "beast" which I'm sure is some sort of acronym) was not processing the request to keep the grandfathered in unlimited plans for people upgrading and that some orders had to be called in to have an ATT rep enter it in manually on their side. She couldn't say if it was only for people changing their plans by adding or removing features, if it was random or if it will happen to everyone keeping the data plan. She had just gotten the call from her manager. SO, make sure your sales person calls or ask if he needs to and make sure nothing has changed on your plan when you see your new 2 year contract.

(edit: This could only be in Best Buy or n SF Bay Area BBuys, an associate of mine said it was the same deal at the BBuy in San Fran, I'm in San Rafael)

Last edited:
I did an early upgrade and did not change my plan. I have unlimited data and kept it. I didn't have to extend my contract either. but, I did go into the AT&T store to pre-order.

Would be nice to be able to keep my unlimited data plan, But honestly when I use it is only when I'm driving or a rare case of not having a wifi close by.

What I don't like (besides the fact that they are really giving it to the iPad3G owners) is there is no middle ground. 200mb is far to little and while 2GB would probably be more than enough for me most months, the $5 difference between that and what I have now isn't enough money to get me to switch.

Yea when I got mine this morning, They asked if I wanted to just simply keep my unlimited. Was VERY happy to hear that.

I did have a 3GS.

having worked at a phone shop for 6 years as manager I can tell you that if you change your plan structure you WILL lose your unlimited, you have to keep your current plan to stay grandfathered into the unlimited.. I turned away so many customers because they had plans that were 6, 8, 10 years old that were like $30 unlimited minutes and stuff like that because to upgrade they had to change their plan cause they were so old, lol.. but anyway don't change your plan -- and it won't change!

having worked at a phone shop for 6 years as manager I can tell you that if you change your plan structure you WILL lose your unlimited, you have to keep your current plan to stay grandfathered into the unlimited.. I turned away so many customers because they had plans that were 6, 8, 10 years old that were like $30 unlimited minutes and stuff like that because to upgrade they had to change their plan cause they were so old, lol.. but anyway don't change your plan -- and it won't change!
Yes, the Best Buy salesperson was good at letting me know that I would lose the plan if I made any changes, but thanks for making sure it was clear here too.

The reason for my original post was because of what I experienced while buying my phone on launch day- that a particular AT&T server (she called it "beast") that automatically processed the request to keep unlimited plans had gone down and salespeople at Best Buy had to phone in the requests if it didn't show up properly on their screen at the time of purchase. I have no idea if this is still relevant, but wanted to post the info at the time so that anyone getting their phone at BBuy knew it might be necessary to double check that their salesperson knew how to keep their plan.

I would think things are back to normal by now.