What's new

HDR mode

thex

Reaction score
So I am a little slow and just realized that my phone has what is called HDR mode. Of course I googled it, and found that it is better used for certain scenarios, some more obvious then others, but here is my question.

Currently I am not able to place myself in any of those scenarios, so I was wondering, has anyone used HDR mode, and does it really make a noticeable difference?

Yes. It takes 3 photographs and blends them to create one image.

$image-488493135.jpg

$image-608751194.jpg

Here's an example. The same photograph with and without HDR. It's an extreme example taken from inside a vehicle into bright sunlight.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Thanks for the shots. I will have to give it a shot sometime. No pun intended.

please tell me u dont actually drive with ur ipad there...

Hell, no. I was afraid it was going to fall off in the time it took to take the photograph. When I want to shoot video through the windshield I duct tape it into place.

Here's one of my videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a brand new iPhone user. I find that most YouTube reviews etc assume you've been using an iPhone forever.
I've got a couple of questions.... but guess I should only ask about HDR under here.
When would you use HDR? If HDR stands for High Definition Recording... guessing here....why not have it on always?
(the other is about GRID...when would you use it?)

HDR stands for High Dynamic Range.

In layman terms it is a technique to create a picture that is closer to what our eyes sees versus what a CCD (the cameras eye) sees at one moment in time.

It accomplishes that goal by looking at the photo in 3 different dynamic ways. It then finds the best subsection of each element in the photo and combines them into one. It really works well in mid to high lit areas where a persons skin is being washed out by the lighting.

The best way to understand it is to take a picture with a person and a lot of cement around them during a sunny day. The difference between the HDR and non-HDR should be rather dramatic.

Grid is simply used to allow you to align the shot better. A lot of people don't use it because they always center the subject to their liking. But professionals tend to follow some solid techniques to frame their shots and that grid helps them with that.

I use grid for horizon control, not for rule of thirds. rule of thirds is a nice rule, and one to really help people jump from taking snapshots to taking photographs. It is the simplest technique to help improve the quality of photography and one, once you know it, is very fun to break.

Thanks to both of you. Great information. Is there a resource for a newbie iPhone 5 user to look at to learn some of this? I'm sure there are thousands of questions I don't even know I have to ask, as yet.

I would start with this file http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iphone_user_guide.pdf and in the process I will show you a neat trick.

If you tap on that link while on the iPhone, it will open the PDF in a web page. Now once the PDF is done downloading, then you want to tap on the screen and watch the top right near the address bar. It will suddenly show "Open in iBooks". Tap on that. It should suddenly switch apps and show you the same PDF again. But now it is permanently stored on your iPhone so you can read it offline anytime you want. Plus you change the font size if you have old eyes like me :D

I would start with this file http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iphone_user_guide.pdf and in the process I will show you a neat trick.

If you tap on that link while on the iPhone, it will open the PDF in a web page. Now once the PDF is done downloading, then you want to tap on the screen and watch the top right near the address bar. It will suddenly show "Open in iBooks". Tap on that. It should suddenly switch apps and show you the same PDF again. But now it is permanently stored on your iPhone so you can read it offline anytime you want. Plus you change the font size if you have old eyes like me :D

Thank you very much for that tip!