What's new

Hard Drive Conflict

Tody

Reaction score
My iphone and my external hard drive (hp personal media drive) seem to be in conflict. Whenever I plug in my phone to my laptop, the PMD starts "clicking" loudly and is not accessible. My laptop tries to access it and it grays out and just hangs. It works just fine with other usb accessories, but not the iphone. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks.

First of all let me say I'm not familiar with your equipment. I would assume that the PMD is powered from the USB port. USB ports supply approx. .5 amps per socket, their are 2 sockets in a pair. The PMD is probably drawing a full .5 amp or more, as hard drives use a lot of power. The iPhone draws about .5 amps also. So you may be drawing the max those USB ports can put out. I suggest if you have another pair of USB sockets, to move the iPhone to the other pair of sockets. If you only have a one pair of USB sockets, try a powred hub for the PMD. The clicking noise makes me think it's starved for current. Another words, it can't put out enough power for both at the same time. Most other USB devices don't use much current or none at all from the USB ports. If the PMD is powered from another source, wall-wart, never mind. LOL

Thanks Pocobear, that makes sense to me. There are two side by side usb ports on one side of my HP laptop and a single port on the other. I just tried plugging in my iphone to the single port and it does work better. The drive is responding, but very slowly, and I can still hear an occasional clicking sound, but it is much softer. But you are definitely correct.