What's new

Can't use internet when connected to personal hotspot with windows vista

bjpenner

Reaction score
Hi,
When I connect to my Iphone 4s personal hotspot it does'nt give me internet access. I have an HP laptop running Vista. When I connect with a netbook running Windows 7 the internet works. I have tried to connect many times with my Vista laptop. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have a solution?

No, I'm running windows 7 and my hotspot is working well with my windows7, it's surely related with your vista. But can you give more information about how it can't connect? does it find the wifi and can't connect? does it connect to the wifi hotspot but can exchange data? what exactly is the problem?

Sorry for not being clear enough before. My computer connects to my personal hotspot with local access only but no Internet. Sometimes my web browser shows some kind of dns error.

what is the hotspot app you are using? if MyWi then select "other device"

I am using the iPhone's personal hotspot. My iPhone is not jailbroken.

bjpenner said:
I am using the iPhone's personal hotspot. My iPhone is not jailbroken.

If this is the case I suspect you are using 4.3.3 granted that you are using the built-in mechanism from your IPhone,if this is true, then it's for sure your Vista OS that's probably corrupted. When was the last time you had your Windows revamped? Reason why I ask is I have a customer in the same scenario you are in but everything works. However he has a fresh Vista installed and things worked flawlessly. First I should suggest investing a few minutes of your time to determine whether your Vista is slow; i.e. Is your OS getting slower than it used to be, or are their certain glitches which was not apparent a few weeks or months ago. These are indicators which would tell one to revamp their Windows.

And by doing this may solve all your problems. But pls backup your data before revamping your Windows. And if all still fails after the fact then you may consider upgrading your PC to Windows 7, or an easier way is to get JB your IPhone, lol!

I actually just restored my computer to factory settings about a month ago. I was pretty sure it was Vista that was causing problems. I don't want to spend the money to upgrade my computer. If anyone has found a solution for this, I would appreciate it.

I am wondering if this issue was ever resolved, my neighbor is going through the same thing right now and we are desperate for an answer.