What's new

[Guide] iPhone\iPad 2 firmware too old to restore backup fix

iNeoTom

Reaction score
Anyone who has been on the new 5.1b2 firmware for example and downgraded to 5.0.1 for the up and coming A5 jailbreak :D

You will be familiar with this screen flashing up when you go to restore your iPhone\iPad 2:-

DTuEc.png

So doing some digging around on google :D i found a really handy easy to use guide to get your backup back on your iPhone with just changing 2 part of one file :D

So here we go.......

1. Navigate to your itunes iphone backup folder:-
WINxp -
Code:
[COLOR=#303030][FONT=Helvetica Neue]C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup[/FONT][/COLOR]

WIN7 -
Code:
[FONT=arial][LEFT][COLOR=#000000]C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\[/COLOR][/LEFT]

[/FONT]

OSX -
Code:
[COLOR=#303030][FONT=Helvetica Neue]~/Library/[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]Application Support[/COLOR][COLOR=#303030][FONT=Helvetica Neue]/MobileSync/Backup/[/FONT][/COLOR]

* Insert your own windows username where it says <username>
** Some of these folders may be hidden btw

2. Find the most recent backup, this reflects the backup in itunes with no date (for me it's "iNeoTom's" without any dates next to it in itunes, and most recently modified date in the backup folder)
v11Yr.png

3. Theres a bunch of strings/files here, scroll down to info.plist (or just click on the top one and hit the "i" key on your keyboard :)
pIDhI.png

4. Open notepad (or PLISTs for OSX) and drag the Info.plist
df8oM.png

5. Near the begining, find these two strings...
ipbJZ.png

<key>Product Version</key> <string>5.1</string>

<key>Build Version</key> <string>9B5127c</string>

--The value after the versions will differ depending on what version you were last on when you backup up, I'm assuming it was 5.1b2, though this method should work retrospectively and for future updates.

6. Now change these values to reflect your current setup e.g.
y673h.png

<key>Product Version</key> <string>5.0.1</string>

<key>Build Version</key> <string>9A406</string>

Product version and Build version can be found on your recently downgraded iPhone\iPad 2 in
Code:
Settings-General-About then go down to Version in brackets is the Build number :)

7. If itunes was open, it will still not recognis the backup, so restart itunes.

8. Backup should work fine now when you restore from it!

Hope this help atleast someone out on here it really helped me out :)

iNeoTom

Last edited:
Fined / find
:p
Besides that small spelling mistake looks great

Anyone who has been on the new 5.1b2 firmware for example and downgraded to 5.0.1 for the up and coming A5 jailbreak :D

You will be familiar with this screen flashing up when you go to restore your iPhone\iPad 2:-

DTuEc.png

So doing some digging around on google :D i found a really handy easy to use guide to get your backup back on your iPhone with just changing 2 part of one file :D

So here we go.......

1. Navigate to your itunes iphone backup folder:-
WINxp -
Code:
[COLOR=#303030][FONT=Helvetica Neue]C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup[/FONT][/COLOR]

WIN7 -
Code:
[FONT=arial][LEFT][COLOR=#000000]C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\[/COLOR][/LEFT]

[/FONT]

OSX -
Code:
[COLOR=#303030][FONT=Helvetica Neue]~/Library/[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]Application Support[/COLOR][COLOR=#303030][FONT=Helvetica Neue]/MobileSync/Backup/[/FONT][/COLOR]

* Insert your own windows username where it says <username>
** Some of these folders may be hidden btw

2. Find the most recent backup, this reflects the backup in itunes with no date (for me it's "iNeoTom's" without any dates next to it in itunes, and most recently modified date in the backup folder)
v11Yr.png

3. Theres a bunch of strings/files here, scroll down to info.plist (or just click on the top one and hit the "i" key on your keyboard :)
pIDhI.png

4. Open notepad (or PLISTs for OSX) and drag the Info.plist
df8oM.png

5. Near the begining, find these two strings...
ipbJZ.png

<key>Product Version</key> <string>5.1</string>

<key>Build Version</key> <string>9B5127c</string>

--The value after the versions will differ depending on what version you were last on when you backup up, I'm assuming it was 5.1b2, though this method should work retrospectively and for future updates.

6. Now change these values to reflect your current setup e.g.
y673h.png

<key>Product Version</key> <string>5.0.1</string>

<key>Build Version</key> <string>9A406</string>

Product version and Build version can be found on your recently downgraded iPhone\iPad 2 in
Code:
Settings-General-About then go down to Version in brackets is the Build number :)

7. If itunes was open, it will still not recognis the backup, so restart itunes.

8. Backup should work fine now when you restore from it!

Hope this help atleast someone out on here it really helped me out :)

iNeoTom

HUGE THANKS!! couldnt find the like button cuz i'm blind. jailbreaking 4s now - thought it was hopeless. even spent an hour on the phone with apple admitting that i'd like to jailbreak (dumb i know) and was trying to downgrade. they said they honestly didn't know a way.

thanks again! if you were in edmonton i'd buy you a beer lol

HUGE THANKS!! couldnt find the like button cuz i'm blind. jailbreaking 4s now - thought it was hopeless. even spent an hour on the phone with apple admitting that i'd like to jailbreak (dumb i know) and was trying to downgrade. they said they honestly didn't know a way.

thanks again! if you were in edmonton i'd buy you a beer lol

Haha no problems at all glad it finally helped someone out :)

Hope you have got it all sorted now :)

iNeoTom

Just tried to downgrade to 5.1.1 from OS6 today.... ouch. Got into the plist fine, permsissions are granted, files were renamed, and now when I try to restore from backup with the downgraded plist, it says the backup is not compatible or corrupt... Any thoughts? Thanks! :)