What's new

iPhone 5 Transfer backup data Windows to Mac.. Sort of there but not..

TristanMarchent

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

First post here, and I feel it's going to be a complicated one! I have searched everywhere for this but I really cannot seem to find a simple guide to doing this..

Ok here goes, At the moment I have an iPhone 3GS, Yes I know quite old! But I have recently got a new iPhone 5! Which I really cannot wait to use!

The aim? Transfer backup data from one laptop to another laptop without loosing stuff! I.e. Music, Photos, Contacts, Apps etc!

My OLD Laptop, the one that is activated with the iPhone 3GS, as I was using my OLD Laptop at the time I had my iPhone 3GS is a windows based PC running Windows Vista! (Crap, I know..)

My NEW Laptop, the one that I am now currently using as my primary laptop is a Macbook Pro! And I Love it!
biggrin.gif
This is the laptop that I want to be using my iPhone 5 with and to activate on it, so I can manually manage music and everything, without loosing data!

So, again, I would like to transfer the backed up data from my old computer to my new computer!

How do I do this? I have heard that I copy the backed up data onto a memory stick and put it into MobileSync > Backup but when I have done this, it doesn't recognise it when I open up the new iPhone 5 in iTunes. It actually recognises my mum's phone when clearly my backup data is in that file..

My iPhone 3GS is currently running iOS 6.1.2 and I am currently downloading as I type this iOS 6.1.3 for my old iPhone 3GS. Now I hear you ask, why I am bothering to update it?

Well when I turn on my iPhone 5 and go through all the setup stuff, I hit a wall and it says: 'Choose to set up as a new iPhone or restore from backup'

So I clicked Restore from iCloud Backup (Still a hugeee newbie on iCloud...) I logged in and it said that I couldn't choose an iCloud backup because 'No iCloud backups are compatible with the version of iOS (6.0.1) on this iPhone'

So what do I do now? I can't backup my phone because it can't recognise the data I have put into MobileSync > Backup folder on my Macbook Pro, and I can't backup from iCloud because of a software issue..

I would really really appreciate some help, as I would love to get my new phone up and running!

Thankyou very much!

Tristan Marchent

EDIT: I have updated via the iCloud thingy and I now have contacts and bookmarks for safari on there. But no Text messages, notes, photos, music OR APPS!!

Apps aren't backed up. Re-install them via iTunes. You should also be able to see your purchases in iTunes so you can redownload them via iTunes and sync them over. Music as well if they're from iTunes. If you have ripped songs, transfer them over manually via a thumb drive or ext HDD and sync it over. I would recommend syncing everything onto your 3GS, use iExplorer to manually extract everything on your Mac, and sync all the manually backed up items back over to your 5.