What's new

GSM CDMA Interchangeable?

Flintlock

Reaction score
If I buy a 5s do I have to choose between versions or does one fit all. I'm on Verizon (a CDMA carrier) and will pay full price. Can that handset later work on a GSM carrier? I'm considering changing carriers in future.

Thanks

OP
F

Flintlock

Reaction score
Basically what I'm asking is: are there two versions of iphone or just one?

sd_N

Reaction score
If I buy a 5s do I have to choose between versions or does one fit all. I'm on Verizon (a CDMA carrier) and will pay full price. Can that handset later work on a GSM carrier? I'm considering changing carriers in future. Thanks

Yes. Verizon 5S is fully capable of running any SIM card out of the box. Best phone to get. :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I buy a 5s do I have to choose between versions or does one fit all. I'm on Verizon (a CDMA carrier) and will pay full price. Can that handset later work on a GSM carrier? I'm considering changing carriers in future. Thanks
Only if you can get Verizon to unlock your phone for domestic use.

sd_N

Reaction score
Only if you can get Verizon to unlock your phone for domestic use.

Sorry... I are wrong. U do not have to have Verizon unlock it for domestic use. It's already sim unlocked out of the box due to the FCC agreement with Verizon. Just got a Verizon 5S and popped in my prepaid ATT SIM card and it works. LTE and everything. Please research before commenting. Thx

sd_N

Reaction score
Sorry... I are wrong. U do not have to have Verizon unlock it for domestic use. It's already sim unlocked out of the box due to the FCC agreement with Verizon. Just got a Verizon 5S and popped in my prepaid ATT SIM card and it works. LTE and everything. Please research before commenting. Thx

I meant YOU are wrong scifi....

sd_N

Reaction score
Sorry... You are wrong. U do not have to have Verizon unlock it for domestic use. It's already sim unlocked out of the box due to the FCC agreement with Verizon. Just got a Verizon 5S and popped in my prepaid ATT SIM card and it works. LTE and everything. Please research before commenting. Thx

I won't comment again about a fact that's easily known.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It turns out I was wrong in my previous answer, you can use a SIM card from a GSM carrier.

sd_N

Reaction score
There are more tactful ways of making a point! Please remember to treat all with respect!

Yes. I re read my post. I didn't mean to sound disrespectful. Apologies to Scifan. Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts