What's new

GSM CDMA Interchangeable?

Flintlock

Reaction score
If I buy a 5s do I have to choose between versions or does one fit all. I'm on Verizon (a CDMA carrier) and will pay full price. Can that handset later work on a GSM carrier? I'm considering changing carriers in future.

Thanks

Basically what I'm asking is: are there two versions of iphone or just one?

If I buy a 5s do I have to choose between versions or does one fit all. I'm on Verizon (a CDMA carrier) and will pay full price. Can that handset later work on a GSM carrier? I'm considering changing carriers in future. Thanks

Yes. Verizon 5S is fully capable of running any SIM card out of the box. Best phone to get. :)

If I buy a 5s do I have to choose between versions or does one fit all. I'm on Verizon (a CDMA carrier) and will pay full price. Can that handset later work on a GSM carrier? I'm considering changing carriers in future. Thanks
Only if you can get Verizon to unlock your phone for domestic use.

Only if you can get Verizon to unlock your phone for domestic use.

Sorry... I are wrong. U do not have to have Verizon unlock it for domestic use. It's already sim unlocked out of the box due to the FCC agreement with Verizon. Just got a Verizon 5S and popped in my prepaid ATT SIM card and it works. LTE and everything. Please research before commenting. Thx

Sorry... I are wrong. U do not have to have Verizon unlock it for domestic use. It's already sim unlocked out of the box due to the FCC agreement with Verizon. Just got a Verizon 5S and popped in my prepaid ATT SIM card and it works. LTE and everything. Please research before commenting. Thx

I meant YOU are wrong scifi....

Sorry... You are wrong. U do not have to have Verizon unlock it for domestic use. It's already sim unlocked out of the box due to the FCC agreement with Verizon. Just got a Verizon 5S and popped in my prepaid ATT SIM card and it works. LTE and everything. Please research before commenting. Thx

I won't comment again about a fact that's easily known.

It turns out I was wrong in my previous answer, you can use a SIM card from a GSM carrier.

There are more tactful ways of making a point! Please remember to treat all with respect!

Yes. I re read my post. I didn't mean to sound disrespectful. Apologies to Scifan. Thanks.