What's new

Griffin Launches iOS Remote-Controlled Helicopter

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]
Helo_TC.JPG

Griffin is well known for its accessories and cases for iOS devices already, but now the company is really branching out (or should that be blading out?) with the launch this week of a Griffin-branded remote-controlled iOS helicopter, called the Helo TC. The Helo TC works in conjunction with the Helo TC app, which turns your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch into a remote control for the helicopter, which will be available to buy in time for Christmas 2011, for £34.99 ($50 approx). [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]To operate the Helo TC, you first have to charge it via any computer or iOS-powered source, then fit your iOS device into the included flight deck module, which transmits infrared signals to the helicopter, giving you total flying control. You have two available flight modes: either use your device’s touchscreen to control the helicopter’s throttle and flight controlled joystick, the cyclic, or you can enable the Helo TC’s Tilt-to-Fly feature, which uses your device's accelerometers to control the helicopter by tilting forward, backward and side to side. [/FONT]

Here are the Helo TC’s tech specs courtesy of Griffin:

• Average flight time - approx. 8 minutes
  • PolyLithium Fuel Cell - 3.7V @ 180 mAh
  • Flight Deck Controller Sled powered by 4 AAA batteries
  • Recommended for pilots aged 14 and up
  • Suitable for use indoors only
  • Helo TC app is a free download from the iTunes App Store; iOS 4.0 required.
Source: Griffin, via TUAW

Pretty lame. All this is, is a Syma S107 (pretty nice for a low-cost indoor heli) coupled with an IR "sled" and a special app. The only problem is, the S107 works just fine with the included IR controller, absolutely no sense in overthinking the control scheme. Since this adds absolutely nothing to the experience, I don't see the point.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Syma-S107-S107G-Helicopter-Colors/dp/8499000606/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310757549&sr=8-1[/ame]

Same thing, except no iOS control sled included; and it's $30 cheaper.

I've always wanted one of these little helicopters. I might be a more expensive one of the one save posted for the sake of a gimmick, but I still want one! Lol...

Yeah, they may be more expensive that those with standard remotes, but it sur eis more fun to controll a heli from your phone!

I got the lightspeed one from i-helicopters.net

I have two five year old grandson who would probably have a lot of fun with one of those.

Maura said:
Griffin is well known for its accessories and cases for iOS devices already, but now the company is really branching out (or should that be blading out?) with the launch this week of a Griffin-branded remote-controlled iOS helicopter, called the Helo TC. The Helo TC works in conjunction with the Helo TC app, which turns your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch into a remote control for the helicopter, which will be available to buy in time for Christmas 2011, for £34.99 ($50 approx).

To operate the Helo TC, you first have to charge it via any computer or iOS-powered source, then fit your iOS device into the included flight deck module, which transmits infrared signals to the helicopter, giving you total flying control. You have two available flight modes: either use your device’s touchscreen to control the helicopter’s throttle and flight controlled joystick, the cyclic, or you can enable the Helo TC’s Tilt-to-Fly feature, which uses your device's accelerometers to control the helicopter by tilting forward, backward and side to side.

Here are the Helo TC’s tech specs courtesy of Griffin:

[*] Average flight time - approx. 8 minutes
[*] PolyLithium Fuel Cell - 3.7V @ 180 mAh
[*] Flight Deck Controller Sled powered by 4 AAA batteries
[*] Recommended for pilots aged 14 and up
[*] Suitable for use indoors only
[*] Helo TC app is a free download from the iTunes App Store; iOS 4.0 required.

Source: Griffin, via TUAW

Only 8 min.thats poorer than the backup of ios5.lol