What's new

Grab These Otterbox Cases For Your iPhone 4S

wicked

Reaction score

iphoneotterbox.jpg

After Apple announced the iPhone 4S, the Otterbox company immediately confirmed supporting the upcoming device by providing it with the much need protection.

OtterBox will be granting a nice rage of choices too with Defender Series, Reflex Series, Commuter Series and Impact Series cases, which, following device availability on Oct. 15 will be tested by product designers for compatibility.The Defender Series is an indestructible, rugged smartphone case. It’s actually a heavy-duty case with soft bumpers, a hard shell and a screen protector. Its removable silicon bumper layer encases the polycarbonate shell and screen protector, thus making the iPhone 4S impenetrable to scratches, dust and liquids.Built with portability and protection in mind, the Reflex Case is made out of a single layer dual density polycarbonate material molded with a TPE rubber for extra protection.

You can access all your jacks, controls, ports and dock connectors with this case and keep the screen well protected from smudges and dirt with the included screen protector.
With two layers of protection, the OtterBox Commuter Series Case is sure to protect your iPhone 4S from those hard impacts and drops. One layer of silicone skin provides a shock absorbing protective core while the second outer polycarbonate hard shell provides your iPhone with the hard protective impact resistance it needs.

And last but not least, the OtterBox Impact Series is a thick, protective case which wraps around the iPhone like a second skin, protecting it from minor impacts, scratches and dirt.
With the protective cases, OtterBox has managed to merge necessity and stylish accessory design for the most hip iPhone to date.

by
Radu Tyrsina

Source: Fire Engineering

I love mine! Would never own an iPhone without it. It's really tough, rugged and it don't make it overly bulky. Would recommend it to anyone.

I just picked up the otter box commuter today for my 4S. So far it's awesome

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

There are several cases in the heavy duty protection genre, Youtube has comparison reviews posted and Griffin (with a don' t do this' caveat) show an iP4 being lodged on a car roof at 50mph then pushed off, stuck to a screen and put through a car wash, pressure washed and hosed down and the phone still go's.

Looking at the close ups i think the Griffin Survivor wins on water and dirt protection, the Otterbox is sleeker

A YouTube kid runs a direct comparison of both cases (nobody can test destructibility like a kid), shows valid points of each and some of the pro's and con's, but in the end it is what you personally need from a case and where you will compromise. I have the Griffin which is marginally bigger, rubber case is very grippy with indents for finger grip and everything is covered.

My biggest dislike is the camera flap, while it protects the camera it is tricky to dislodge as it fits into a moulding of the inner case. Makes for
tricky operation. Otterbox has no such cover for the camera so easier in this respect, but this design also means more crude can get in. I think the Otterbox has a slightly more translucent front window, but far more shiny than the survivor so perhaps less readable in in sunlight or backlight than the survivor.

Either case will come with compromise, much like buying a car and deciding between competing models, both do a great job and get you there, so its things like fuel consumption, pedals and steering wheel position, all around vision or can the wife put her slap on without coating the roof in foundation.

End of the day unless you can look and use both cases, which ever you buy you will likely be happy with, but i bet you will wish it had one or two of the features of the one you did not buy.

The otterbox is junk. I just got rid of mine for a lifeproof case and it's great, more durable and 100% waterproof

The otterbox is junk. I just got rid of mine for a lifeproof case and it's great, more durable and 100% waterproof

The Lifeproof case is NOT EVEN CLOSE to being waterproof. Their own web page states it is only good to a depth of 6.6 feet of water. Do you know WHY they have to state that? Because the membrane used to protect the mics and speakers can't keep the water from entering after a certain level of PRESSURE. Which means if water hits those points at a high enough speed it doesn't matter if the water is 1 foot deep or even 1 inch deep. So much for waterproof.

Anyone that believes that case is going to truly save them really needs to go look at buying stock futures in snake oil.

Skull One said:
The Lifeproof case is NOT EVEN CLOSE to being waterproof. Their own web page states it is only good to a depth of 6.6 feet of water. Do you know WHY they have to state that? Because the membrane used to protect the mics and speakers can't keep the water from entering after a certain level of PRESSURE. Which means if water hits those points at a high enough speed it doesn't matter if the water is 1 foot deep or even 1 inch deep. So much for waterproof.

Anyone that believes that case is going to truly save them really needs to go look at buying stock futures in snake oil.

Hey Skull... I have a bridge for sale!!

Skull One said:

Hey. What's wrong with Snake Oil? I bought stocks. Lol..just kidding

Well not for anything but I bought a lifeproof case for my son and I and today at the gym I brooked it in the pool which is 8ft and not a drop of water so I am a firm believer. My son dropped his phone while riding his bike and the front and back screen shattered which I just had to pay 100 to fix and the company said it only tests drops up to 3 feet. For me otterbox was not worth the money and so far the lifeproof has been well worth the money so for anyone who likes the otterbox I have 2 for sale 10 each lol.

Here's an idea, I use the best buy return policy to test new products. I bought the life proof case and used it for a few weeks and returned it. I got to check it out and was under no obligation to keep it. The problem I have found with the life proof case is the little plastic clip that covers the charging port. If that breaks or the seal fails its just a really expensive piece of plastic. For as much as I charge my phone, I know that the charging cover will ware out or break. But I will only find out when my phone is full of water. It's not a waterproof case for life. It's a life proof case that repels water for an undisclosed period of time.

I am currently using the otter box defender series, and I like the feel and the look of it it's not water proof but it does protect against some minor instances like a spill on the table or dropping it in the snow. But since I don't expect it to be waterproof I won't willfully put my phone in any consequential danger. If you are looking for a waterproof alternative I have seen the Amphibian case on YouTube but haven't tested it. That looks pretty nice. If any one has an amphibian please reply, thanks!

Have you heard of never wet?? I seen the you tube video for it and if it's legit then no one will ever need a case to make there phone water proof. Check out the video on YouTube it's interesting and hopefully true.

rxcx5790 said:
Have you heard of never wet?? I seen the you tube video for it and if it's legit then no one will ever need a case to make there phone water proof. Check out the video on YouTube it's interesting and hopefully true.

That looks very promising. But what happened to the iPhone after 30min.? And how well does it protect the phone under 12ft of water? Need more input!