What's new

gps

blood

Reaction score
hello all since the announcement of apple going to verizon i am thinking about getting an iphone. this would be my first smartphone so i am trying to find out more about it. as the title says i am wondering if the iphone has a gps and can it be used off the network. i would like to use it for hiking, hunting and geocaching. are there topo maps out there that can be used? apps from any of the big gps companies (delorme, garmin)

hello all since the announcement of apple going to verizon i am thinking about getting an iphone. this would be my first smartphone so i am trying to find out more about it. as the title says i am wondering if the iphone has a gps and can it be used off the network. i would like to use it for hiking, hunting and geocaching. are there topo maps out there that can be used? apps from any of the big gps companies (delorme, garmin)

there is a tomtom app that once downloaded it has the map saved to the hard drive so once its installed you do not need network DATA for the maps to load, the gps is great and very accurate, im not 100% if the gps itself needs a network signal for it to recognize but i dont think it does

As far as I know, the iPhone does NOT pick up GPS satellite triangulation. It uses cell phone towers for GPS locales. For me, who lives in the sticks, it's nevertheless quite accurate.

So..... if you're within range of a couple of towers, you'll get your GPS programs to work just fine.