What's new

GPS abroad

zoomer16

Reaction score
Hello, I am living abroad, off and on for the next 2 years and I am deciding whether I just get a pay as you go phone, or am I able to use my GPS on my iphone now without using data. If data is to be used then I would consider contracting another iphone here in paris.

I also noticed there are city guide apps that can be downloaded - do they use data?

thank you so much for any advice you can give - i am at a loss!!!

What will use your data is the Location Services... that pin points your location in relation to the mapped area you're looking at. Considering that GPS is useless without Location Services pin pointing you... your answer is no. You can't use your GPS without using data. The city guide apps do the same thing as well. Use the Location Services of your iDevice to pin point your location in relation to the guide map.

I am going to Italy in the fall and have the app CityMaps2Go. With that app you can preload maps before you go, or download over wifi and it won't use data. But, it's not a "live" GPS.

Hello, I am living abroad, off and on for the next 2 years and I am deciding whether I just get a pay as you go phone, or am I able to use my GPS on my iphone now without using data. If data is to be used then I would consider contracting another iphone here in paris.

I also noticed there are city guide apps that can be downloaded - do they use data?

thank you so much for any advice you can give - i am at a loss!!!

Hi, welcome to the forum! Here are a few helpful links. cv| iPhone tips | iPhone Tips & Tricks | What is jailbreaking? | Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sure? | iPhone Unlocking Guide for BeginnersiPhoneForums.net Mobile App

iPhoneForums.net Forum Rules - Please Read and Respect our Rules

poisonivy……iPF STAFF.

I am going to Italy in the fall and have the app CityMaps2Go. With that app you can preload maps before you go, or download over wifi and it won't use data. But, it's not a "live" GPS.

+1 for CityMaps2Go. The best local maps app for iPhone. Download it and check out its capabilities for your local city.