What's new

Google Voicemail on Sprint iPhone ROCKS!

wonko

Reaction score
I have been a loyal Palm user from the very beginning. I was sad to see WebOS go the way of the world, but it was time to make a jump. IOS, for a number of reasons I won't go into now, became the only real choice.

I now have my 4S from Sprint, and am enjoying the phone, though there are several issues that are, or were, vexing me. One of the issues was the voicemail system on the iPhone, and how it didn't like integrating with Google Voicemail.

I have been using Google Voicemail for the last couple of years and have grown dependent on the unlimited voicemailbox, the voice-to-sms messages, and being able to listen to my messages on my computer. There really aren't any tutorials out there that tell how to put GVM on your iPhone that applied (they are all AT&T) and the methods I used on my Palm Pre just don't work.

After a long search I found this page on Google that changed everything. These are the instructions on how to change your GV number to your Sprint phone number, and use all of Google's services via that number. No separate number, no having to change all kinds of settings on your phone. It was EASY!

First, I had no idea that Sprint and Google Voice had become so integrated. This integration solved several small gripes I had about the previously cobbled together system that was being used, and is still in use by most users.

So here are some of the advantages I am now enjoying with the Sprint GVM alliance:

1. When I get a text message of my voicemail, the caller ID is now the person it is from, not some random GVM number. This integrates it into your message feed for that person in Messaging. Really nifty. And I don't have to keep adding GVM numbers to my Google Voicemail contact everytime they throw a new one at me.

2. You can turn off the pin code now! Because the phone is identified through Sprint, someone can't fake your caller ID to hack into your voicemail. Not a huge step, but a nice one.

3. I don't have to set up a separate number to call for my voicemail. Because it is now your regular voicemail, it is just the one that you get when you go to the voicemail app.

Generally this gives a whole lot more features than you otherwise would have, and makes it a much more robust solution than some of the other ways it needs to be configured. It is just seamless.

So, if you have your iPhone on Sprint, take advantage of this. Trust me, you will never want to go back!

Enjoy!

Im sure thats going to help a lottt of people out, thanks for posting that!