What's new

Google search app problem

Dr Talk

Reaction score
$image.jpg

Hi everybody! Above is a screen capture of my Safari home page with Google as the homepage default. My problem is that I cannot figure out how to prevent the prompt to install/use the Google search
app. I do have the app installed, but prefer to use my browser (just personal preference). I have searched the net to find a solution but…no dice. Just to clarify, everytime I open Safari, it's there and to me, a nuisance. Can somebody please help? Btw, my 4S is not jail broken. Thanks in advance!

Dr Talk

I've never seen this on my own phone, but several possible things occur to me. Have you tried the "Try it" option to see what happens? If you've already got it installed anyway what would it matter? Maybe that would satisfy it. Second option would be to tap on the X to the left of the blue Google "g". Does that close it out? Lastly, are there options when you tap on the icon with the three horizontal lines? Maybe there's something there that would help.

Seen this a few times. Aside from clicking the "x" in the corner I don't think there's a way to make it go away. I get the same thing for YouTube every time I go there in safari but instead if saying try it, it says open.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iPF.net

View attachment 16535

Hi everybody! Above is a screen capture of my Safari home page with Google as the homepage default. My problem is that I cannot figure out how to prevent the prompt to install/use the Google search
app. I do have the app installed, but prefer to use my browser (just personal preference). I have searched the net to find a solution but…no dice. Just to clarify, everytime I open Safari, it's there and to me, a nuisance. Can somebody please help? Btw, my 4S is not jail broken. Thanks in advance!

Dr Talk

It comes from Google being able to detect which browser is being used and then suggesting their own products. Clicking the "X" will remove the advertisement until cookies are removed.. at which time the advertisement will return. This has happened to me many times.

Oh, by the way, Google isn't the only site that does this.. I've seen some others do it too but can't remember which ones.

One work around is to use a third-party web browser that allows you to change the user agent string.

Last edited:
so surely cant he just removed the add and keep the cookies??