What's new

Google Maps Will Still be Included in iOS 5

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
google_maps.JPG

9to5 Google reports that despite recent speculation, the forthcoming iOS 5, due to be launched at Apple’s WWDC at the beginning of June, will still feature Google Maps. This is despite the fact that Apple has recently acquired two mapping developers, Poly9 and Placebase, which led to the speculation that Apple would soon be switching from using Google Maps to a proprietary Apple mapping system. According to 9to5 Google, several recent job postings from Apple on its official site for positions relevant to an Apple mapping service have also fuelled the speculation, as has the fact that Apple has seemed to be wanting to put more distance between itself and Google, after the resignation of former Google CEO Eric Schmidt due to “conflict of interest.” Furthermore, Apple has also recently added Google rival Microsoft’s Bing search engine to the Safari browser.

However, according to 9to5 Google’s sources, although Apple has been working on improvements to iOS Maps, Google Maps will still be very much a part of iOS 5.

Source: iOS 5 will continue to use Google mapping data | 9to5 Google – Beyond Good and Evil | Just another WordPress.com site

Good to know that the giant will still have a sitting place in the close future coming iOS5

i hope it will have turn by turn navigation because google maps alone is useless its like an electronic map that you can keep up with if your driving alone you have to have some one telling you where to go

i hope it will have turn by turn navigation because google maps alone is useless its like an electronic map that you can keep up with if your driving alone you have to have some one telling you where to go

Agreed. And it should also re-route automatically when one ventures off the original course.

i doubt it will get added until probably not even 6.0 firmware but atm the way it is you cant rely on it or use it

try Downloading Map Quest..

i downloaded MapQuest app because i heard it has voice turn by turn. And well im a motorcyclist so being in my pocket and having headphones in it has been vary useful. Even if I pass a turn up it will say recalculating and tell me to go a diff rout. Its awesome and FREE!!!

One other thing. While listening to Pandora it will dim the music and talk over it. Very cool.