What's new

Google Maps current location is wrong after update.

Apples to Oranges

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a new user to this forum and am trying to find a fix for my google maps app. I have searched online for a fix and through some of the posts here but didn't see anything that really touched on my specific issue. Please forgive me if I missed a thread that addresses this. I am not the most tech savoy person. Here is my problem. Hope someone can help.

I have an iPhone 3GS 16gb. It had been many many months since I synced with iTunes so I took some time last week to do it, update to the lastest stuff and back up all my pictures and whatnot. Not being so tech smart I'm not exactly sure what firmware I updated to. I'm assuming it's the most recent since iTunes does it for you.

After the phone was updated whenever I used the google maps app I noticed that the current location it was giving me is anywhere from a few blocks to a few miles off. I tried resetting my phone a few times and doing some reading online. I can't really find a solution. I downloaded the GPS status app and it says my status is "Bad Fix" with a horizontal accuracy of 754M.

Does anyone know of a solution or can guide me in the right direction to fix this issue?

Last edited:
I tried this, a post I found on another blog but it didn't work.

Here's how you fix it:

- Go to settings, general, auto-lock, change it from 1 Minute to NEVER
- Go to settings, general, reset, reset network settings (THIS WILL REBOOT YOUR IPHONE)
- Go outside, in a clear place with NO tree's, buildings, or anything blocking your view of the sky
- Open "MAPS", click NO on all that wi-fi crap, then click the little gps icon, and let it sync up with the satellites (this could take a few minutes)

any other Ideas? Where is the guru?

Launch Maps.
Watch it try to use the lower resolution data that was forced on us because EVERYONE *BLEEPED* about some so called bogey man tracking us.
Wait about 30 seconds and then move more than 10 feet.
Watch your position update properly.

This was done inside a building with no view of the sky and it had my position to within 9 meters.

Launch Maps.
Watch it try to use the lower resolution data that was forced on us because EVERYONE *BLEEPED* about some so called bogey man tracking us.
Wait about 30 seconds and then move more than 10 feet.
Watch your position update properly.

This was done inside a building with no view of the sky and it had my position to within 9 meters.

just tried this. After I moved my maps updated to a new location that was still about a quarter mile off, just a few feet from where is was off before. Any other ideas?

Just watched this video on youtube:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI1jLEg81eI]YouTube - Iphone 3GS GPS Problem[/ame]

It helped me with absolutly nothing but notice the iPhone on the right. How the blue circle never homes onto the location and starts pulsating like the one on the left. That is what mine is doing.

I would say, based on that film clip, your cache of cell towers and wifi spots is nearly empty at present and you need to let it rebuild.