What's new

iPhone 5 - Google Maps

techjunkie26

Reaction score
Does anybody know the status of the Google Maps app for the iPhone 5? I am considering the phone, but don't want to lose my google maps.

Thanks!
:iphone4vert:

We have two different rumors.

1) Google said there won't be one.

2) A iOS developer posted screen shots.

No one knows the truth it seems.

it's coming soon. If not Apple Maps will be fixed. I think Apple Maps are working pretty good. YMMV

Just type maps.google.com and create a shortcut on your home screen

Does anybody know the status of the Google Maps app for the iPhone 5? I am considering the phone, but don't want to lose my google maps.

Thanks!
:iphone4vert:
As Skuul One said: there will be NONE. You want Google Maps --> switch to Android. Sorry!.

andrzejls said:
As Skuul One said: there will be NONE. You want Google Maps --> switch to Android. Sorry!.

I don't believe you are in a position to make that claim. However I would not say it would be smart to expect it either - especially in a short timeframe.

I noticed that Apple's satellite maps weren't as current as some Google images. For example, though some freeway ramps around CNET's offices in San Francisco were removed more than a year ago, Apple still shows them in place. Google does not.

Austin Gaming Freak said:
I noticed that Apple's satellite maps weren't as current as some Google images. For example, though some freeway ramps around CNET's offices in San Francisco were removed more than a year ago, Apple still shows them in place. Google does not.

The company I work for added a parking lot a few years back. Google maps still doesn't show it but apples maps does. Must just be back and forth.

I don't like the current Apple map. No comparison with Google.
Google map shows so much more detail for my area. Also Apple maps doesn't show names of restaurants and other business. Some restaurants are on Apple map but you have to click on the icon.
Apple has taken a giant step backwards when it comes to maps. Surely Apple will do better!
I use the Google map app... not as good as when it was in the phone but still beats Apple.

I've used Apple's map a few times and it has not lead me to a lake or anything. So far so good. But I still love google maps too.