What's new

Going to Buy My First Smart Phone - 4S - and Have Questions

hermes

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a long time Verizon wireless customer in the midatlantic region. I've got a Windows7 PC. I'm going to buy my first smartphone, a 4S w/ $20.00 data plan, from Verizon. I don't watch movies or play music on the phone. Is the 8GB model ok for my use? I'll probably add a full GPS app to it. Which accessories should I buy, including which screen protector? I wear jeans 99% of the time and keep my billfold in one of my front pockets which probably means I won'y have room for the phone in my front pocket, so I'll need some type of belt holder. Which do you recommend? I don't want to buy the accessory pack from Verizon unless you recommend it.

what else should I know/buy? Which apps are recommended?

Thanks,

Mike

Welc:)me to the iPhone world!

I use mine in my scrub pocket with a speck case. We will see what others say about the clip.

There are all kinds of APPs. I love Facebook , tweetbot, words with friends, iphoneforums app, the Bible,

Welcome to iPF.net!!

If you're going to get the 4S... it only comes in 16, 32 & 64gb models. The belt clip w/ the Otter Box Defender is pretty solid. Or you could go w/ a leather holster style case if you prefer a different cover for your phone.

Hey there
Congrats on entering the smart phone world. I would recommend at least getting a bumper case for it. It protects it well but does not take away from the nice design of the iPhone naked. Also others are correct 8gb is not available in the 4s, and in my opinion 8gb is no where near enough memory on these smart phones. Even 16gb is pushing it if you plan to use the features of the phone. For example I recently went to a concert and decided to record a couple songs using the new 1080p camera. Wow , great quality but you pay a price. Each file was just over 1gb each. So that memory goes quick.

While you're deciding on which screen protector to get, do yourself a favor: go to Walmart and get one of the cheap screen protectors. Don't delay. Here is my tale to support this statement:

I usually get my screen protectors from Power Support (on my iPad- it works beautifully!) and they're awesome. But of course...I've yet to order one. I have a brand new iPhone 4S. In the interim, I spent $8 at Walmart to get a pack of three Fellowes Writeright screen protectors for my iPhone, put one on as soon as I got home.

Today, while I was laying on the floor in the sunshine, near the breakfast bar separating the kitchen from the living room, reading a magazine and so forth, my cat knocked one of the decorations off our little Christmas tree (a 3' fakie sitting on the wide end of the breakfast bar). The decoration, a walnut-sized solid ceramic piece (oddly enough, the decoratin happens to be of a walnut partially open with two cute little mice sleeping in a bed in it), fell straight down and landed squarely on the iPhone screen with a loud WHACK. Pretty much dropping a walnut-sized rock 5' straight onto the screen.

This left what appeared to be a small circular crack. Like a big ding in your windshield that you'd get from a flying rock.

AAAAGGGHHH!! Brand new iPhone! FREAK accident! And you know how long, spidery cracks start!

And I didn't get AppleCare+ for it. Normally I insure through Worth Avenue (as I have with my iPad), but haven't gotten around to it, yet. Lazy me but also been busy with a lot of stuff lately.

So, I thought to at least remove the screen protector, assess the damage, clean it up as best as possible and then seal the screen with a new screen protector, see if I could get away with having a tiny hole/chip in the screen that would-hopefully-be minimized even more with the new screen protector.

Lo and behold...after pulling the screen protector off....the screen was in PERFECT shape! The screen protector took ALL of the impact!

For all those folks who say a screen protector isn't necessary.....good on ya as I guess you've got the money to burn. Folks like me live 3.5 hours away from the nearest Apple Store (I got my phone from the nearest Sprint Store, 1.5 hours south of here) and the cell phone is our ONLY phone.

Moral of the story: A screen protector of SOME kind is better than no screen protector at all!

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

hermes, unless you do a LOT of video saving on the device, a 16 GB phone will be all you need. I've got one with tons of apps, many pics, and some mp3s, and still have over 10 GB left over. Again, video storage is the key. And yes, get a case protector! The Otterbox is great, but expensive. Your decision.

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I just returned from the VerizonWireless store where I bought a black iPhone 4S 16GB w/ pack of three screen protectors, belt clip, case that can prop up the phone for video conferencing, car charger, home charger and ear buds. The phone ships via FedEx on 12/29. (The white iphone would've shipped on the 27th).
I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions after the phone arrives.

Best Wishes for the Holidays and New Year.

hermes

What do you mean by a home charger? Like an outlet with USB? If so the iPhone already comes with one.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

seneca18 - what is a bumper case? The case I bought with the belt clip doesn't offer much protection. Whichever case i buy it needs to fit in a belt holster.

mtnmedic - that's a terrible story with a happy ending. My iPhone ships with a three pack of Samsung screens. The sales guy assured me they'll work w/o difficulty on the 4S.

Hazmatjeff. How does the phone charge? Wall charger\USB?

Anybody have recommendations for free GPS app for driving and geocaching?

Congrats on the phone....Im not sure if you can get a belt clip with the bumper case...Like I said before what makes the bumper case nice is that is protects it well without making the phone big and bulky....enjoy your phone when you get it...let us know what you think of it...

hermes said:

For driving I use and recommend Motion X

hermes said:

For driving, I use and recommend Motion X.