What's new

Fixing broken camera(s)?

davebraks

Reaction score
This summer I dropped my iPhone into the ocean - while most everything still works perfectly, the cameras have been broken since. When opening the camera app, the shutter wouldn't open and the camera button would be greyed out. Since my contract isn't up for renewal, I don't want to drop the cash to get a 4S if I can avoid it. So instead I'm trying to fix the cameras. I bought a new rear camera and installed with limited success - when opening the camera app the shutter still does not open but the button is black as if the camera will work for a second - then it goes back to grey. Also, the flash is always somewhat lit - not bright as it normally is, but a constant dim glow.

I'm thinking this camera may be something a dud.. I ordered it from buy.com. I'm considering buying both camera now, front and back, with the idea that if the front camera is also fried, the rear won't operate anyway. I'm buying for iphone4parts.com. So I have two questions. First, what's the probability that this will work? And second, exactly how difficult will it be to replace the front camera? I'll essentially have the disassemble the entire phone. I'm fairly good with hardware - I've entirely taken apart 3 iPhones, but I've never reassembled any of them. Thanks in advance for any advice.