What's new

Ghost in the machine

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
After 2 years or more, my iPhone 4 has developed a strange quirk. Yesterday, everything was fine, today the screen is responding to touches that are not happening.

Since new, it has been living in an OtterBox, but when things started going screwy, I took it out of the box and everything worked just fine. Back in the box and the phone went nuts again.

I've come to the conclusion that something gas gone awry with the OtterBox, but what it might be, I can't imagine. It doesn't look warped, there is no débris inside it. I'm at a loss to explain what's going on.

Anyone else had similar issues?

Is it possible that the case is pressing on part of the screen? There is also the possibility that the digitizer is beginning to fail.

Is it possible that the case is pressing on part of the screen? There is also the possibility that the digitizer is beginning to fail.

Could be either. It seems fine out of the OtterBox so I'll have to run it naked for a while. My contract is nearly up in any case, so I think the iPhone 5 might be getting a bit closer.

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

I guess we can put the theory to the test. Put a bit of pressure on the digitizer area and see if it still acts up.

My otterbox case started to do this with my old iPhone 4. The screen protector started to warp a little and it'd press down on my screen, starting random calls and texts. I had to ditch it as well. I'm just sporting a luxe ascend case now. Protects good without the bulk.

I guess we can put the theory to the test. Put a bit of pressure on the digitizer area and see if it still acts up.

Seems fine without the OtterBox, no matter what I do to it.

That's weird. If you have another case, see if that's still the case as well. It might be the grip that the OtterBox has on the device as a whole but I doubt that would be the problem.