What's new

Getting rid of my iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading between the lines the problem child could in fact be your pc causing the headaches

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

OK xray..., how do you configure the iPhone NOT to synch with iTunes?

Sorry, I misspoke.... he just shouldn't "enable" the sync on the phone. I shouldn't have said to turn it off. To use sync on the phone, you have to be "connected" by wifi to itunes and then you have to hit the "sync now" option.

So, did you finally get the latest iTunes downloaded? As Col.Bris was suggesting...I bet your computer is the culprit. Firewall? Anti-virus?

I can sympathize with you on a few of these things, itunes included (I hate to change computers now in fear it will wipe all my songs). Especially the inability to change ringtones for different email addresses. I love my iphone, it just works, but it would be nice if they freed it up just a little. Or maybe that is why it just works, because its not freed up. My brother felt the same and jumped ship for the Nexus and hasn't looked back. Think I will stick it out for a while longer though, even got my wife a 4S for Christmas.

So, did you finally get the latest iTunes downloaded? As Col.Bris was suggesting...I bet your computer is the culprit. Firewall? Anti-virus?

Hi
Yes latest version of iTunes downloaded and everything seems to be ok at the moment, I suppose the computer is a possibility, but I'm thinking that maybe iTunes was corrupt, or just a bit flakey.

I don't think there was an issue with the antivirus or firewall, as during install it only asked permission for one item, so it wasn't blocked, it just needed permission, which has now been allowed in the firewall rules, everything else that needs access is already allowed.

Regard's,
Gary.

Don't mean to hijack the op's post but it is inline with it. I didn't post my first post correctly. I have a couple email addresses (mine, not other peoples in contacts), 1 for emergency service callouts. With my droid I would have the ringtone for that one sound off so I would know I got an email TO that address of mine. The other address I have had the ringtone on silent so it didn't sound off everytime I got a picture of someones cat or something. The FROM address varies so I can't do what you are talking about. if there is a way around this please let me know.

As for the piracy thing, I don't like paying for other peoples short comings. Itunes is a PITA for no fault of mine which makes it faulty and I don't care what the reason is, that's just making excuses for its problem's and is one place Apple should have put more thought into, whatever the reason.

There's some misinformation floating around here. First you CAN change ringtones for EVERY contact in your contacts folder. It's not correct to say otherwise. That's means every email address too as long as the email is in a contact entry of its own.

Then remember that iTunes behavior of 'asking to replace everything on phone or library is about protecting against pirated music.

Good KoolAid. I see you didn't address the other issue.

Not sure what you mean by this. You DON'T pay for iTunes. No one does. It's free. I still don't understand what people are saying doesn't work about iTunes. When you come over from the PCWorld to the MacWorld or a piece of Macintosh software gets ported over to the PC side you simply need to learn how to use the software that is built for the Apple system. iTunes is no better or worse than any other app built for a Macintosh. It simply works PERFECTLY to the software designer's specs - every single time. It works exactly the way it was designed to work - flawlessly. When problems occur (and it's not a "known" bug) it's user error-plain and simple.

iTunes is first and foremost a loading station and saving station for your music apps videos, etc. That's all it is, that's all it was designed to be.

KoolAid comment probably a little off color so I won't go back there, stressed at work today. The other issue meaning the issue about not being able to set ringtones for my email addresses (see previous post). Just irritates me how the iphone is so locked down. Got used to the droid and be able to do what I needed to do. On the other hand, the 4 just works so I guess it s a trade off.

?? KoolAid? Other issue?

Not sure what you mean by this. You DON'T pay for iTunes. No one does. It's free. I still don't understand what people are saying doesn't work about iTunes. When you come over from the PCWorld to the MacWorld or a piece of Macintosh software gets ported over to the PC side you simply need to learn how to use the software that is built for the Apple system. iTunes is no better or worse than any other app built for a Macintosh. It simply works PERFECTLY to the software designer's specs - every single time. It works exactly the way it was designed to work - flawlessly. When problems occur (and it's not a "known" bug) it's user error-plain and simple.

iTunes is first and foremost a loading station and saving station for your music apps videos, etc. That's all it is, that's all it was designed to be.

There have been many posts about the shortcomings and aggravations of iTunes. I can't understand how you can summarily dismiss others concerns about it like it's their fault. It is not an intuitive program at all. You have to research it, read the fine print, experiment with it, lose data occasionally, before you figure the darn program out! Works perfectly? I think not! :(

Why is this post still alive? The iPhone ios is just not for everyone (period). I suggest you go back to the wide variety of google phones available. If that doesn't work for you the go with the new windows phones.
It's not koolaid we are drinking. We truly love our apple even with its downfalls. It's a free country and your money google is calling

You fanboys are bizarre. Look at my original post, I said I liked the phone with a few exceptions where I liked the droid better (see below). Yes, I made a slightly off color comment about the koolaid and tried to remove that from the conversation and instead center on one of the few issues I don't like but I swear you all are taking me back to the koolaid comment. The only thing you all have commented on is itunes and have not mentioned the one thing I have tried for 9 months to get an answer on but failed. Yes, the android will do it and yes I could go buy one tomorrow but you are correct, its my money and I bought an iphone but yes it has limitations so I am trying to find a way to fix or get around that. Yet, you all act like I insulted your god or country and offered no help. The issue my brother had he could never resolve. Apple techs told him to buy an 'after market' program but it didn't work with the latest version of itunes at the time so because his computer died he couldn't get the songs from the phone to a new computer. If you guys have the answer please feel free to offer real help. He worked for a week with phone support and couldn't get it done. Checking online it seems like its not uncommon. That is why I would be hesitant to buy a new computer but I couldn't give 2 cents about downloading music all the time so its not a big issue for me, although I do have a few songs I have collected. Like I said, I plan to stick with this phone even with its lock down, limited nature but also like I said, maybe that is why it just works. I work in emergency services and need a phone that is dependable and so far so good. In the mean time guys accept the fact this thing isn't perfect and there may be problems with it. No one is bashing Apple that I have seen in this thread, only looking for fixes and work arounds for what they felt shouldn't be changed.

(My original post here: I can sympathize with you on a few of these things, itunes included (I hate to change computers now in fear it will wipe all my songs). Especially the inability to change ringtones for different email addresses. I love my iphone, it just works, but it would be nice if they freed it up just a little. Or maybe that is why it just works, because its not freed up. My brother felt the same and jumped ship for the Nexus and hasn't looked back. Think I will stick it out for a while longer though, even got my wife a 4S for Christmas.)

I don't think I ever said it was 'intuitive' or 'flawless' as a 'software'.. I said that it 'works' "flawlessly" based on the way the designers designed it. If you've read the instructions. It works EXACTLY like they say it does. No one who 'uses' it correctly 'ever' loses data. That's all I'm saying. LOSS of data is a 'user' error - by definition. iTunes was the 'first' music library software out there. They've learned a lot from user feedback and have bettered the program over years and years. The problem is that people don't understand the 'nature' of it working. It's designed to 'only' allow for 'legal music' to transfer between it and your iDevices. So - when you try to 'sync' it to anything but 'devices' associated with your library name on your computer you run the risk of 'losing things'. And yet - there are 'many' (non Apple approved) softwares to let you 'bend those rules' too. When you can add your 'songs from your CD library' to more than one library. And still people complain. What are you holding up as a 'better' method.. Windows Media Player? Are yoy KIDDING ME?? There isn't even a 'burn disc insignia' in there. You have to hunt for it in nested folders. Is iTunes perfect - no. Does it work flawlessly without erasure for anyone that's taken time to 'read the instruction' -- yes.. Absolutely. When you lose stuff - it's user error. It's 'terrible' and I HAVE indeed lost stuff myself.. But it was 'my user error'. But from day 1 I loaded iTunes - I found it very easy to use and it always did exactly what I expected it to do. Occasionally there have been bugs. But they get fixed quickly. And I've never 'permanently' lost anything. Remember the old addage. "If it's not back up, it doesn't 'exist at all'". If your 'only copy' of your music is in iTunes - that's very dangerous. Now with iCloud there's NO way to ever lose 'legal' music you've purchased ever again.

+1000 -- Exactly my question? Why do people bash Apple here? There are SOOOO many other choices out there now. The Android is KILLING Apple iPhone in sales these days.. If you hate iTunes get an Android.. ;-)

One thing I want to add to this thread because it is devolving quickly. Stop the use of the term "fanboys". I despise that term. On both sides of the board. It is a derogatory term no matter how you spin it. Debating plus and minuses is one thing, throwing this out there is akin to name calling. Knock it off now. Everyone.

Ah,...Well.....Hi Guys, Looks like this thread got a bit out of hand, and as the original poster would like to appologise for opening a can of worms, I was in a bit of a "Huff" when I posted and Maybe should have named the thread a little different.

On the upside, all seems well at the moment, and I have made about half a dozen custom tones and put them on the phone without any problems, so things are looking good so far.

Regard's,
Gary.

Dbmorris... I don't know if this will help or not with the music issue, but it is a workaround. I have my music folder on my desktop shared over my network with my laptop. And I have iTunes on both computers. I then opened up each song on my laptop (through the shared music folder) with iTunes and they did organize in iTunes. I now have my music on my desktop, laptop and my phone. I do need a new desktop and I do "dread" it, because I am not confident that I will get iTunes moved over seamlessly. But, I am at least a bit more at ease now that I have my music on another device.

Ah,...Well.....Hi Guys, Looks like this thread got a bit out of hand, and as the original poster would like to appologise for opening a can of worms, I was in a bit of a "Huff" when I posted and Maybe should have named the thread a little different.

On the upside, all seems well at the moment, and I have made about half a dozen custom tones and put them on the phone without any problems, so things are looking good so far.

Regard's,
Gary.

In view of the OP's latest post I am closing this thread.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.