What's new

Getting rid of my iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getridofit

Reaction score
Hi all, New to the forum, so please excuse any mistakes.

Well I joined the forum for one reason only, not to praise the iphone (although the phone itself is good), this is a 3Gs 32mb, but to have a moan about the whole concept of the phones limitations and especially itunes, which must be one of the most annoying, rubbish peice of software ever thought of.

Now I know I will probably get shouted down for saying the above, but i'm fed up with it deleting everything of the phone whenever I connect, The current version installed is 9.0.3.15, and all attempts to upgrade fail, if I could be bothered to waste any more time with this peice of rubbish, I would uninstall completly and start from sctratch, but don't see the point, if I have transfer everything back to the phone after itunes decides I don't really want it and deletes it for me, and please note it's set not to sync automatically, I only sync the relevant folder if I want to add something, but it's "Bye Movies, Pictures ect" and all I wanted to do was add a music track. I Hate It.

Secondly, The phone itself, well most phones will allow you to add custom ringtones and alerts with ease, but the iPhone, oh no, you can jail break it, get winscp, and a whole host of different programs to aid you to get stuff you really want on it, but why should you have to, If you buy something, you should be able to customise it to your own preference, not bow down to apple's money making franchise, and not what they think you need on your own peice of equipment, One things for sure, I will NEVER buy another apple product.

So, the long and short of it is, in the new year I will be looking for another phone, but I want to be able to drag and drop file's, Ringtones, Alerts, Movies etc directly from windows Explorer, Just like I can with my Sony MP3 player, organise folders, to my pref's, without the hassle of reverting to google to find out how to do it.

I am looking at maybe a HTC, Motorola, Samsung or what ever will allow me to do what I want to do with it, So if there is anyone on this forum who can sympathise with my plight, and understands the frustrations of owning an apple iPhone, and knows a good phone to go for, I would appreciate thier input, Please bear in mind, I still require to run app's just like the iPhone, and play movies with the same quality.

Finally, It's a shame that apple have produced a great phone, but put so many limitations on it, it just makes you want to bang your head against a brick wall.

Regard's,
Gazza.

While I feel sadness that this individual only registered here to belittle our beloved iDevices... I can only hope they'll give it a second go! I do, however, agree w/ destiny in regards to the issues being "user error." Sorry if the iPhone or iTunes require you to think every so slightly... and won't hand everything to you on a platinum platter.

Hi
Thank you for yor replys, I was kind of expecting these answers, and as I Do like the phone I am willing to give it another shot, I mentioned that for some reason itunes wont update for some reason, so would you suggest I uninstall and download the latest version?

I was trying to get the worms "Incoming" Text alert on the phone, and I understand that the file should have a .caf extension, so if you could explain how I go about getting this on the phone without "Jail Breaking" or using Winscp I would be very grateful.

Regard's,
Gary.

While I feel sadness that this individual only registered here to belittle our beloved iDevices...

I disagree ~ The OP is frustrated and needs assistance. He agreed to give it a second chance. Where you got the idea that he only registered to belittle, implies you know his mind.

Just sayin'....

A worms incoming is from the game worms, they toss a grenade and yell " incoming" then he he he he he
Quite a good text noise, not as good as jean luc pickard saying "enterprise, one to beam up" had that on a Nokia. Very strange looks when I got a text whilst shopping g

I disagree ~ The OP is frustrated and needs assistance. He agreed to give it a second chance. Where you got the idea that he only registered to belittle, implies you know his mind.

Just sayin'....

Thank you, Someone understands.

A worms incoming is from the game worms, they toss a grenade and yell " incoming" then he he he he he
Quite a good text noise, not as good as jean luc pickard saying "enterprise, one to beam up" had that on a Nokia. Very strange looks when I got a text whilst shopping g

Great text alert, just need someone to explain how to get it on the iPhone as an alert and not a ringtone.

Gazza.

While I feel sadness that this individual only registered here to belittle our beloved iDevices... I can only hope they'll give it a second go! I do, however, agree w/ destiny in regards to the issues being "user error." Sorry if the iPhone or iTunes require you to think every so slightly... and won't hand everything to you on a platinum platter.

So are you saying it's possible to add an alert for incomimg texts via iTunes?, would be grateful if you could explain how to go about this.

Regard's,
Gary.

Hi Gazza,
Though I can understand your frustration with the limited nature of the iPhone `` the examples you gave AREN'T areas of limitation of the iPhone. With due respect - all the problems you're having are user error. You can give a custom ringtone to every single phone number in your contacts. Easy. And iTunes only erases things when you're not using it correctly. You'll have to tell us more details to help you get it working right. I use the iPhone and iTunes all day, every day and the software problems you're describing are completely foreign to my experience with the phone. So why don't you ask a specific 'how to' question so we can get you up and running. Most of us don't like reading instructions - but most of the things you're complaining about are easily explained in the instructions and help guides with the iPhone and iTunes.

Give it a 2nd shot.

Yes, adding a ringtone is easy albeit a little long winded if it's a custom ringtone, and assigning it to a particular person is not a problem, my problem, which has occoured over the last few months, with the problem of deleting files from the phone for no apparent reason, is the most frustrating, But I have now unistalled iTunes ready for the latest version to go on, But before I reinstall, I am hoping someone can explain how to add a custom alert to the alerts folder using iTunes, without jailbreaking or any other kind of third party software.

Regard's,
Gary.

So are you saying it's possible to add an alert for incomimg texts via iTunes?, would be grateful if you could explain how to go about this.

Regard's,
Gary.

Yes search text tones in the app store. Once downloaded choose the text tone you want. Download it to your phone. It will ask for your email. Input your email. Then sync with iTunes. Make sure in iTunes you have "sync ringtones" checked. Once it's synced the text tone will now be in your ringtones on your phone. Select to text tone for your messages this way. It's pretty easy and has instructions on going about it on the app.

iHolophyte

I use "text tones" and now my incoming message is, "You have message buddy, it could be anyone" said in an Asian accent. Cracks me up.

iHolophyte

Hi
Is "Text Tones" a program or website?, and how do you add the new alert your text alerts on the iPhone?

Regard's,
Gary.

Ok, So I'm going to disappear for a while to re-install iTunes, and have a little play.

Thanks to everybody who has replied, will get back and let you know how I get on.

Regard's,
Gary.

Status
Not open for further replies.