What's new

G-mail

kpinks

Reaction score
I set up my G-mail account on my Iphone, but I did not seem to get a lot of the messages that are in my g-mail? Is it possible that I set it up wrong or should I use the g-mail app instead?
Thx
Kev

Personally I had the same problem. I used the gmail app but I believe there is a way to set up you push notification to a certain time limit. Maybe this is why u aren't receiving them for some reason. On a side note the app works pretty good.

How you setup Gmail in the "Apple" mail app is very critical.

Most people use the Add Account then select "Gmail". That in theory does work but it forces your phone to do a LOT of extra work (IE eats battery) for no benefit and is a pull email setup.

Instead setup the gmail account thru Microsoft Exchange. You get PUSH email for the GMail account and you can see everything with a few tweak instantly.

Now for the quick setup lesson:

1) Settings
2) Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
3) Add Account...
4) Microsoft Exchange
5) Fill in EMAIL, USERNAME, PASSWORD and DESCRIPTION ONLY

When you hit next, it will query the system and then present a new dialog

6) Server - Put in - m.google.com
7) Save - And that is the hard part done.
8) Go back to the list of accounts.
9) Fetch New Data
10) Push - Turn it on.
11) Advanced - Make sure you have the accounts set for PUSH that support it.

Now click on the account itself. This will allow you to chose "Mail Days to Sync" and "Mail folders to Push". Check off the folders you need notification on as well as how many days to keep on your phone at any given time and you are good to go.

Exit settings because you are done.

Hey, thanks for your help! I went thru the procedure and used my current e-mail (gmail address) and I have some problems! Do I need to set up a new e-mail address or something?
Thx
Kev

If I use my current password for my gmail account, it tells me the password is incorrect when I go thru the set-up steps? I am using the default "Exchange" account.
Thx
Kev

You must use your entire email address for the USERNAME field. So EMAIL and USERNAME should be identical when you exit that screen.