What's new

Future iPhones Could Be Smaller and Cheaper

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iphone4-black-white.JPG

A story on Bloomberg today says that it has heard from people in the know that Apple is currently working on several different types of iPhone, with a view to eating into the growing popularity of Android-based handsets. According to Bloomberg, one type of phone that Apple is currently looking into developing would be much cheaper and smaller than the iPhone 4. Bloomberg’s source has already seen a prototype of just such a device, which is roughly one-third smaller than an iPhone 4, and has no home button. Apparently Apple is looking to go down the cheaper iPhone route to broaden its appeal, especially to those customers who might normally consider buying an Android phone, as well as to potential customers in countries such as India or China where they tend to buy cheaper devices.

“Instead of targeting 25 percent of the global mobile-phone market, Apple would be going after 100 percent,” Charlie Wolf, an analyst at Needham & Co. in New York told Bloomberg.

The Bloomberg story goes on to say that Apple is thinking about marketing this new iPhone for approximately $200, with the idea that users will not have to be tied into a contract to use it. The source even says that Apple is thinking of releasing the phone in the middle of this year, but then again they say it’s also just as likely to be delayed or even scrapped altogether, as often happens to prototypes.

Other sources have also told Bloomberg that Apple is working on developing phones that can be easily used on multiple wireless networks, and a universal SIM, which would let iPhone users choose from several different GSM networks without having to change their SIM card.

Just imagine: an affordable iPhone that doesn’t tie you into a contract!

Source: Apple Is Said to Work on Cheaper, Smaller IPhones - Bloomberg

really? its 5 months until a new phone and the have not decided on a new design or what it will even look like?

I'll really be surprised if they try smaller....seeing the iPhone already is on the small end of the spectrum. I'm guessing release as usual....

its hard to believe much about the rumours of the iphone, there are so many of them and mostly fake. but after the whole gizmodo thing people start to believe these rumours more

If that is not a rumor then I believe Apple can achieve to increase it market share and can beat Android badly ... Keep up the Good work steve, I will meet you soon.

If that's the case, I guess I'm leaving the iPhone scene and just stick with my iPad. I was hoping it will be a larger screen. This screen is getting smaller compare to others.

hopefully not smaller, maybe thinner and cheaper for factory unlocked ones would be nice lol

Apple is working on developing phones that can be easily used on multiple wireless networks, and a universal SIM, which would let iPhone users choose from several different GSM networks