What's new

From Android to iOS

joshua_b

Reaction score
Sorry if I am posting in the wrong area... I am new to this site. I'm considering switching to iOS next upgrade which will be in about 16 months. I am used to Android and mostly like it for its customization and flashing roms, kernels, and all that fun stuff. I have never owned an iPhone but what makes me want to switch is I basically realized the difference between smartphones and basic phones is mostly apps, and iPhone has more apps and more optimized apps, simply because its more popular because it's easy for people with no tech knowledge to use; while Android has a lot of cheaply ported apps, and less apps in general. The only things I think I will miss is stuff like downloading different keyboards, flashing roms to get a cool design/better performance, and I am also worried that iPhones will have terrible battery life. Another thing is iPhones seem like they are for less tech intelligent people, would I be bored with it since I am used to doing things on Android such as changing the roms and kernels and practicing development? And is the notification area good? I really like Android's notification drawer. Also I noticed on iOS you don't get an apps drawer with every app plus a homescreen to put certain apps like Android, instead all of your apps are spread across the homescreen, which seems kind of sloppy but I don't think that will be a big deal. And all that's left that I think I would miss is the screen size. The last time I used an iPhone I almost laughed at how small the screen was, but I think it was an iPhone 4. Hopefully the newer ones have a bigger screen. I don't like huge phones and huge screens that look like tablets but I don't like tiny ones. I currently own a Samsung Galaxy S3 and I like the screen size on it.

Next upgrade I'll either be getting the latest HTC phone or the latest iPhone, have any Android users here switched to iOS and like it? People complain about Android's updates, but I don't really care about that cause I can put many different roms on it and the rom I'm currently on has a new update every day. Also for the apps I've payed for, I've probably spent about $10 total on Android apps so I wouldn't really care about that. And another thing, I am on Verizon and I believe they are starting to not allow unlocked bootloaders on Android phones, meaning you may not be able to flash custom stuff on new phones in the future. And if I can't put CM10 on my Android phone then I'd rather have an iPhone

By the way are there any good iPhone 5 reviews showing most aspects of the phone? I want to see the phone used the way an everyday iPhone user would use it rather than a review of a person talking about an iPhone while it sits on its homescreen.

Last edited:
Sorry if I am posting in the wrong area... I am new to this site. I'm considering switching to iOS next upgrade which will be in about 16 months. I am used to Android and mostly like it for its customization and flashing roms, kernels, and all that fun stuff. I have never owned an iPhone but what makes me want to switch is I basically realized the difference between smartphones and basic phones is mostly apps, and iPhone has more apps and more optimized apps, simply because its more popular because it's easy for people with no tech knowledge to use; while Android has a lot of cheaply ported apps, and less apps in general. The only things I think I will miss is stuff like downloading different keyboards, flashing roms to get a cool design/better performance, and I am also worried that iPhones will have terrible battery life. Another thing is iPhones seem like they are for less tech intelligent people, would I be bored with it since I am used to doing things on Android such as changing the roms and kernels and practicing development? And is the notification area good? I really like Android's notification drawer. Also I noticed on iOS you don't get an apps drawer with every app plus a homescreen to put certain apps like Android, instead all of your apps are spread across the homescreen, which seems kind of sloppy but I don't think that will be a big deal. And all that's left that I think I would miss is the screen size. The last time I used an iPhone I almost laughed at how small the screen was, but I think it was an iPhone 4. Hopefully the newer ones have a bigger screen. I don't like huge phones and huge screens that look like tablets but I don't like tiny ones. I currently own a Samsung Galaxy S3 and I like the screen size on it.

Next upgrade I'll either be getting the latest HTC phone or the latest iPhone, have any Android users here switched to iOS and like it? People complain about Android's updates, but I don't really care about that cause I can put many different roms on it and the rom I'm currently on has a new update every day. Also for the apps I've payed for, I've probably spent about $10 total on Android apps so I wouldn't really care about that. And another thing, I am on Verizon and I believe they are starting to not allow unlocked bootloaders on Android phones, meaning you may not be able to flash custom stuff on new phones in the future. And if I can't put CM10 on my Android phone then I'd rather have an iPhone

I had been on Android phones since the release of the first Android phone - the htc G1. I went on to become an Android developer (apps and ROMs) and I created graphics for anyone who needed my skills. I owned several Android devices, phones and tablets, and was highly enjoying the Android ecosystem. My Android phones: htc G1, Motorola Cliq, Motorola Cliq XT, Samsung Vibrant, htc Evo, Motorola Droid Razr M, Motorola Droid Razr HD.

My first iPhone was the iPhone 4S, purchased shortly after its release. The one thing that amazed me about the iPhone was that it worked perfectly for me out-of-the-box. My Android phones always required me to root and flash ROMs/Kernels in order to bring it to a state with which I was happy. This was not needed with the iPhone, everything "just worked".

I have since moved to the iPhone 5, moved all of my data from Google products to iOS, and have no plans to return to Android. In fact, I am planning on buying more iOS devices and either a Mac mini or a MacBook Air - Android is only a memory now and I like it that way. I am also planning to become an iOS developer this year.

1. Battery life: My iPhone 5 battery lasts for about 2 days. Remember, these batteries get better over time.

2. App drawer: Not needed since all apps are on the home screen. One can always create folders to better organize apps. I always thought it was redundant to have apps on the home screen and then have an app drawer.

3. I much prefer a device that "just works" without having to waste my time tweaking the crud out of it just to get it there, and iPhone does exactly that.

4. Screen size: I was a bit skeptical about the screen size on iPhones, but it isn't a problem at all. The keyboard is amazing, the auto-correct is much better in iOs than in Android. As far as iPhones are concerned, a bigger screen isn't necessarily better.

5. My iPhone 5 was purchased via Verizon's new program: buy the phone at full price and make payments over 12 months. I wouldn't have been able to get this phone had it not been for that new program.

6. Jailbreaking: I had jailbroken my iPhone 4S but upgraded later realizing my jailbreak would be removed. I was happy with that because the iPhone didn't really need a jailbreak in order to work the way I wanted a phone to work. I was just curious at the time.

I had been on Android phones since the release of the first Android phone - the htc G1. I went on to become an Android developer (apps and ROMs) and I created graphics for anyone who needed my skills. I owned several Android devices, phones and tablets, and was highly enjoying the Android ecosystem. My Android phones: htc G1, Motorola Cliq, Motorola Cliq XT, Samsung Vibrant, htc Evo, Motorola Droid Razr M, Motorola Droid Razr HD.

My first iPhone was the iPhone 4S, purchased shortly after its release. The one thing that amazed me about the iPhone was that it worked perfectly for me out-of-the-box. My Android phones always required me to root and flash ROMs/Kernels in order to bring it to a state with which I was happy. This was not needed with the iPhone, everything "just worked".

I have since moved to the iPhone 5, moved all of my data from Google products to iOS, and have no plans to return to Android. In fact, I am planning on buying more iOS devices and either a Mac mini or a MacBook Air - Android is only a memory now and I like it that way. I am also planning to become an iOS developer this year.

1. Battery life: My iPhone 5 battery lasts for about 2 days. Remember, these batteries get better over time.

2. App drawer: Not needed since all apps are on the home screen. One can always create folders to better organize apps. I always thought it was redundant to have apps on the home screen and then have an app drawer.

3. I much prefer a device that "just works" without having to waste my time tweaking the crud out of it just to get it there, and iPhone does exactly that.

4. Screen size: I was a bit skeptical about the screen size on iPhones, but it isn't a problem at all. The keyboard is amazing, the auto-correct is much better in iOs than in Android. As far as iPhones are concerned, a bigger screen isn't necessarily better.

5. My iPhone 5 was purchased via Verizon's new program: buy the phone at full price and make payments over 12 months. I wouldn't have been able to get this phone had it not been for that new program.

6. Jailbreaking: I had jailbroken my iPhone 4S but upgraded later realizing my jailbreak would be removed. I was happy with that because the iPhone didn't really need a jailbreak in order to work the way I wanted a phone to work. I was just curious at the time.

Awesome thanks for the reply. I'm glad I got a reply from an Android developer to hear iOS was good. I was looking at a review for the iPhone 5 and it looks pretty cool and the screen size was good. I think I'm going to switch to it next upgrade.

Awesome thanks for the reply. I'm glad I got a reply from an Android developer to hear iOS was good. I was looking at a review for the iPhone 5 and it looks pretty cool and the screen size was good. I think I'm going to switch to it next upgrade.

iOS 7 will be included by default on iPhones by then so you should be very happy. iOS 7 brings a load of improvements. I hope everything goes well for you. The good news is you're a member here, the best iOS forums on the 'net, so don't hesitate to ask anything.. lots of great folks here to help you :)