What's new

Found iPhone with passcode. what to do

ztim22

Reaction score
Hello,
i found an iphone two days ago in manhattan as a tourist myself, unfortunately it has a passcode and i cannot get through it to call the owner or one of his contacts; even after trying some youtube tricks to get through the address book, nothing works.
The phone also is set with an asian language i cannot understand so im really incapable of using it. the owner hasn't called me once, there is no emergency message that appears or nothing happens so i'm thinking of keeping it for myself. One person;s misfortune makes another;s happiness.
is there any way to restore the phone? when i connect it to itunes, i cannot access it because, because of the passcode, i would need to be using the administrator computer with which the iphone was activated...
what to do ?

Thanks for the help

PS: i am not a thief. whoever accuses me of stealing would actually be the immoral one. defamation.
PS2: it's either an iphone 4 or iphone 4s. i can only figure this much out.

Only thing you can do is call the carrier and check if the phone has been reported lost or stolen. They will tell you what to do from that point.

Hi and Welcome to the forum. Before doing anything I will try to report that phone to the police, if that's not possible wait to see if the owner will contact you because they can track the phone and send a message to it.

However do to the situation we will not promote anything other action in the forum. I hope you can make it right IF possible, because I know is not 100% possible all the time. If you don't heard nothing for a month or so then I will try any other options.

Sorry that we can help more...

If America is like the UK, give it into the police station after calling the carrier. If the person who lost it goes to the station they can get it back or if they ring the station they can get it back. If no one comes forward within two week ( I think) then you can keep it. Just give it in to the police as that is the most likely way the owner will be able to get it back

I would call the carriers first as they can get in touch with the owner. If that does not work, post something on Craigslist that you found an iPhone and request that anyone who lost an iPhone within the area you found it in call it. I believe after thirty days, if no one has claimed the phone, it is yours to keep.

Report to police, after the two week period, the phone is yours you just boot it into DFU mode and restore