What's new

For Those on Time Warner or Cablevision (Optimum)

skweekymagee

Reaction score
For those who have Time Warner Cable or Cablevison (Optimum Online) in the U.S., and for those who aren't aware, they have recently blocked Jailbroken devices from using their App. The Apps allow you to program/access your home DVR from anywhere which is a great feature.
The worrisome part is why would they block jailbroken devices when jailbreaking is legal and how many other companies might follow this.

The good news is some people have already created fixes for this, just search Cydia for "Edited for Profanity" or "FixOptimum" and install. For iPad users, after installing the FixOptimum patch, use iFile and go to:

/Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/Optimum.plist

Open this file for editing and replace CVCrDVR with Optimum .

Save file. This is it!!! iPad will work now with Optimum.

You can also use the watch TV feature from anyplace instead of just on your home network with the Optimum app if you set up a VPN and log into that. Do a search about it and you'll find out how to set it all up.

Last edited by a moderator:
We moved the thread to the jail breaking area, it will get better attention.

I cannot find either app in Cydia. How can I manually fix it by ssh'ing into the phone? I don't care as much about streaming, but programming my DVR is a must.
Also, does anyone know whether or not Verizon dos this? I already sent a lengthy email to customer support and CC'ed to James Dolan, (the former got a typical auto response stating new legal nonesense) but the latter did not respond (i just took a stab at guessing his email address).

I said if this isnt resolved in hte next app release cycle, i am quitting and going to FiOS. They stated ALL companies are now required to do this, as per some recent lawsuit (most likely people streaming outside of home), but not to access DVR is lame (perhaps they can make a separate app so they can allow jailbroken devices, as using streaming is lame to me, when i have a 60" 1080p HDTV in front of me.

Weird, after it's installed I can search for it and it comes up but anyway, here is a link to the .deb file. Best bet is to download it, transfer to any directory with iFile, then tap the file and select installer to install it.
I still can't get the streaming from anywhere to work because my VPN doesn't get internet access so I'm still working on why that is.

FixOptimum.deb

Here's the .deb for Time Warner:

http://cl.ly/1y0K3U3G2t2q2c0A3a2Q

Last edited:
Has anyone figured out a patch for the updated version of the app?

I haven't found one yet but in the meantime this works for me:

Using iFile, go to the Root of the phone, not the directory Var>Root but actual Root (top left button in iFile as far back as you can go)

Go into Applications

Scroll down to Cydia.app and press the arrow key on the right

Rename Cydia to Bydia or whatevers easiest

Exit iFile and now the Optimum app should work. (You might have to re-spring first)

The downside to this is after using the Optimum app you have to go back into iFile and change Bydia back to Cydia otherwise some other things won't work. I always re-spring after I make the changes. Once in awhile the Cydia icon has gone blank after doing this but the re-spring always fixes it. Kind of a hassle but at least if I need to set my dvr when I'm out I still can.