What's new

Flashing iphone

bklyndiaz

Reaction score
Hi All, this is my first post, so please be gentle! :)

I have someone who wants to sell me 2 iphone 4 sprint cdma, but i notice that they do not have a sim card slot, he told me there something called "flashing" where i can flash the iphones to another network.
I asked around and some people tell me it was illegal and some say it's not.
my question is it illegal? and if so, is there any other way that the sprint iphone 4 CDMA can be unlocked to use on another network.

thanks Ivziggy,

but correct me if im wrong, from my understanding CDMA phones cannot be unlocked only flashed, GSM phones can be unlocked, so technically is flashing the same as unlocking?

I believe they are the same don't quote me though. But remember CDMA is strictly for CDMA ONLY (Cricket, Verizon, Sprint) and GSM is strictly for GSM ONLY (AT&T, T-Mobile)

Unlocking is NOT illegal.

You just need to go through the proper channels, technically.

IE: Call Sprint International. Inform that the phones are bought and paid for, provide any information they request, and ask them to unlock the phone. If it isn't under contract they should do it no problem.

Same for the other carriers.

Again, it is not illegal.

Unlocking is NOT illegal.

You just need to go through the proper channels, technically.

IE: Call Sprint International. Inform that the phones are bought and paid for, provide any information they request, and ask them to unlock the phone. If it isn't under contract they should do it no problem.

Same for the other carriers.

Again, it is not illegal.

It's unlocking by third party unlocking services that is technically illegal. The DMCA states that for phones purchased after the 26th of January, third party unlocking of your phone is illegal. It's perfectly legal for the carrier who sold you the phone to unlock it.

Last edited:
It's unlocking by third party unlocking services that is technically illegal. The DMCA states that for phones purchased after the 26th of January, third party unlocking of your phone is illegal. It's perfectly legal for the carrier who sold you the phone to unlock it.

Yes, that's right. I just wanted to clear it up a little though. Even your post before made it sound like any and all unlocking was illegal.

As if any of it really matters anyways. No one is going to get in serious trouble by unlocking their phone, not to mention how would "they" even know WHEN it was unlocked anyways. Prove it. What an unenforceable stupid law.