What's new

Fixing On/Off Button Q's

Paul60

Reaction score
I really love my trusty 4S and would keep using it forever except the battery is old and the top button is stuck.

Is that button really hard to replace ? I have read through a step by step guide with pics and it looks very fiddly.

Has anyone here attempted such a repair ?

I think the battery would be easy enough to replace.

Last edited:
These phones are not easy to work on. I would not attempt to replace that button if you truly cherish your phone. If you mess up it's game over possibly for the phone, keep this in mind. Best to have Apple replace the button or someone that is authorized to do so. JMHO.

These phones are not easy to work on. I would not attempt to replace that button if you truly cherish your phone. If you mess up it's game over possibly for the phone, keep this in mind. Best to have Apple replace the button or someone that is authorized to do so. JMHO.

Thanks,

Your right. It looks like a watchmaker would struggle.

I'm pretty handy, but my eyesight ain't what it was.

Probably not worth repairing either.

The Palm TX that now lives in my sock drawer will soon have company ! :)

Sounds as you got some good use out of it!! You caught things at the right time though as the new IPhone is coming out soon!!! It will be a very nice phone from all I have seen and read.

Sounds as you got some good use out of it!! You caught things at the right time though as the new IPhone is coming out soon!!! It will be a very nice phone from all I have seen and read.

Yes, it has been a very reliable, rock solid phone over the years. The button issue only happened recently & the battery life is still not too bad.

I just made a stupid purchase of a 6S on ebay that looks like it is a refurbished unit and has no Touch ID. I didn't realise until I spotted the 'No Touch ID' blurb buried in the description. He advertised it as brand new. Too late, I'd already paid.

As soon as I sort that out and hopefully ebay/paypal refund me, I'll take a look at the newer offerings.

Oh, and I'll buy one from an Apple store or legit reseller!

Last edited:
In my opinion if you get your money back, buy the iPhone that suits your needs directly from Apple.
Don't mess with anyone else.
Ok it may cost a little more but so does piece of mind.

Replaced screen with a cheap one. For 25$ is cheap no 3D display for iphone 6/6S