What's new

Firmware Is Corrupt? Help?!

tonka

Reaction score
Hello all. First off, I hate that my first post is a cry for help and not a response containing advice or answers. But, it is what it is.

I am using a iPhone 4 (GSM) that is jailbroken using Redsn0w running untethered iOS 5.0.1. I recently contacted AT&T and they agreed to "factory" unlock my iPhone since it was purchased under contract more than two years ago. In order to complete this process, a restore of my phone was necessary. This is where the problem began.

(just a fair warning: I have been jailbreaking my iPhones for a couple of years, so I can usually work myself out of a pinch...not this time)

When I attempted to do a restore of my iPhone 4, iTunes told me that the iPhone could not be restored because the firmware was corrupt. So, I re-downloaded the firmware several times. I have restarted my computer several times (I am running the most updated versions of Mac OS X Lion and iTunes). I attempted a restore from recovery mode and DFU mode (including pwned DFU mode from Redsn0w). I have tried restoring using saved SHSH blobs from TinyUmbrella (just a restore to 5.0.1). None of this has worked. I'm beginning to think it's my computer, but I'm not sure. I couldn't find many forums or articles on this and as far as I know the Apple Forums are silent on this issue (as regards to the iPhone...I found an iPod article that's similar but that fix didn't work either).

I'm open to any suggestions...any at all. Thanks.

We would need to know what error in iTunes you are getting to be able to assess the issue. And no worries, helping is what we're here for :)

Well that's just the thing. It's not throwing an error number at all. When it attempts to extract the software, it throws the "firmware is corrupt" dialog box up with no error number or anything. That happens whether I use a custom restore .ipsw or just let iTunes download the newest software and attempt an update.

Just a shot in the dark here, but are you using Internet explorer to dl the ipsw? Try google chrome to dl it. I guess ie for some reason cuts off part of the extension.

Well that's just the thing. It's not throwing an error number at all. When it attempts to extract the software, it throws the "firmware is corrupt" dialog box up with no error number or anything. That happens whether I use a custom restore .ipsw or just let iTunes download the newest software and attempt an update.

As the poster above me said. Do not download IPSW's from IE. They just dont work Mozilla FireFox is the best browser for downloading IPSWs.

Make sure your host file is not modified. It will never owrk if host file is modified.

Or maybe try to make an IPSW stitched with SHSH blobs with redsn0w, as i would recommend any other type of custom IPSW, because they preserve baseband, and you really dont want to preserve your baseband if your phone is going to be unlocked like that. PWNED DFU is for custom IPSWs only, so there is no way that would work for a stock IPSW.

Try using redsn0w to stitch your 5.0.1 SHSH blobs a 5.0.1 IPSW download from FireFox.

If that does not work then enter DFU open iTunes, and just click the restore button, allow iTunes to download the 5.1 IPSW. I know it sucks because it's 5.1, but since you have 5.0.1 SHSH you can always downgrade after your phone is successfully unlocked.

I really hope some of what I said helps you. I have no idea personally how to fix your particular situation, I'm just stating what I would start with.

I recommend you do no run a TSS server, and most certainly never ever modify the host file. That was for iOS 4 days only. Use the SHSH download from Tiny Umbrella and build them into the IPSW of which iOS the SHSH blobs are for...............That is after you might have to update to 5.1 and get the unlock working.

Good luck!