What's new

Finding Stolen Iphone 4 using IMEI

nzjihoon

Reaction score
So.. this is what happened.
I had my iphone stolen right out of my hoodie pocket in the arcade, and
now I am in a tough situation, because the sim was on a contract, which is still running as I speak.

Fortunately, I know the serial number and the IMEI number for my phone and I thought I may be able to trace my stolen phone with my service provider or the police.

Pretty much, long story short, the police said they can't do anything and told me to go to my service provider and vice versa. Pretty much, due to privacy issues, tracking a stolen phone with the IMEI code is illegal. Thievs have rights too apparantely, so they suggested that I block the IMEI so the thief will not be able to use the phone.

However, I thought I would do whatever I can to find the phone myself, as I know it isn't impossible to track cellphones and decided not to block the IMEI number. Because, if the phone is not being used at all I have no chance of finding it again, whereas, if a different simcard is inserted later on, I thought I might have a chance to find the device.

I am no expert in this area, so I don't know where to begin, but I would like to know if there are any tech experts out there that knows how to find the cellphone number of the device just with the IMEI code.

Or, if it is possible to load the same IMEI code on a different iphone 4 (my roommate's who will be more than happy to help if this works) so that I will be able to see the activities on my iphone on a different phone to find it that way.

Or.. if anyone has any other solutions or ideas..

Bad news and I feel for your loss,

If you were able to copy the IME, my guess having two handsets on the same IME number on different service 'nodes' would likely get 'flagged' on the provider servers and get both phones banned and disconnected.

Using MobileMe you can register the handset which allows you to both track and wipe it if lost, but unfortunately has to be done while the handset is in your possession.

Providers can remote wipe the phone, but will put you through hoops 1st. For obvious reasons.

If you have home contents Insurrance you may be able to claim, check it out.

CP
CP

Hindsights a killer !!

One of the 1st things I did was activate mobile me.

Hope you get your ip4 back dude.

MobileMe sucks for stolen iphones... thiefs just log out of your apple account and it stops working -.- I know cause i had that app and it DOESN'T work.