What's new

Bad imei?

Branflakezzz

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new to these forums and just needed some advice and questions answered. I recently bought an iPhone 5 64 gig AT&T from craigslist for pretty cheap cuz the screen is basically shattered. Later did I find out that that wasn't the only thing, it was reported stolen and has a bad imei ,so I decided to do some research and was curious to see if it had warranty and it did. It has warranty for another year. If I were to send it in to get a replacement cuz of the screen will it still be the same phone with a bad imei or will they even give me my phone back?:0 please help, and thanks guy:)

Hi guys I'm new to these forums and just needed some advice and questions answered. I recently bought an iPhone 5 64 gig AT&T from craigslist for pretty cheap cuz the screen is basically shattered. Later did I find out that that wasn't the only thing, it was reported stolen and has a bad imei ,so I decided to do some research and was curious to see if it had warranty and it did. It has warranty for another year. If I were to send it in to get a replacement cuz of the screen will it still be the same phone with a bad imei or will they even give me my phone back?:0 please help, and thanks guy:)

I know you bought and paid for it, but it still belongs to the original owner who had it stolen. Morally it should go back to the true owner and you should be able to recover your loss from Craig's List (though not being a CL'er I don't know their policies)

Being in the UK i don't really know anything about Craigslist but i suggest getting in touch with them and telling them the problems with this phone, if it is stolen then as zstairlessone said the phone legally belongs to someone else, hopefully they will re-emburse you, let us know how goes.......Just so you know this forum will not assist you in keeping a stolen phone, good luck.

Before you invest any money in it if the phone was stolen then att may have blocked the phone so that there is no way you can activate it

Here's another possibly scenario: I bought a brant new iPhone 4 3rd party for my wife and it had supposedly never been activated. Well I went to activate it and they said I couldn't because it was active on another account. Well after several frustrating hour and lots of phone calls I found out that the original owner had bought the phone brand new from Verizon and when you buy a phone it gets put in there system on your account. Weather or not you actually activate and use it. So because of policies I had to have the original owner call and get it removed from their account and viola I was able to acctivate and use it. Not sure if the situation is similar or not but def worth a shot. Good luck

That's the thing the seller isn't replying to me anymore, so it's pretty obvious what happened. But will or can the warranty on the iPhone still help me out a bit by sending it in? If I can even send it in?

Last edited by a moderator:
The warranty on the phone does not cover a damaged screen. That would come under insurance or Apple Care+ and you would not be the listed owner for either of those options. Your best bet is to do as you were advised and contact Craiglist and file a complaint asking for recovery.