What's new

Finding out memory capacity from switched off iPhone

sharevari

Reaction score
Some iPhones have the memory capacity (e.g 16GB) written on the back cover while others don't. When this is missing, is there any way to find out how much memory is installed in a phone from just looking at the back cover?

This might seem a strange question as it's very easy to find out from inside iOS, but I was recently at an auction where several iPhones were part of the auctioned items, and I couldn't find a way of discovering the memory capacity of the phones before bidding.

Some iPhones have the memory capacity (e.g 16GB) written on the back cover while others don't. When this is missing, is there any way to find out how much memory is installed in a phone from just looking at the back cover? This might seem a strange question as it's very easy to find out from inside iOS, but I was recently at an auction where several iPhones were part of the auctioned items, and I couldn't find a way of discovering the memory capacity of the phones before bidding.
If you go to the iPhone Wiki and look up the model number in the list, it will tell you the storage capacity as well as other info. http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Models

If the model numbers aren't in the listing, ask the seller.

Last edited:
I don't believe these model numbers (
MC640 etc)
are printed anywhere on the outside of the phone though? At least not on the 3GS I'm looking at right now...

Last edited:
Not possible. You'd either have to take the device physically apart, or you need physical access to the device.