What's new

faulty charger ?

Daniel F.

Reaction score
Disclainer and apology first : i am an iPhone newbie and an elderly one at that , so please keep put-downs to a minimum 'coz ,with luck , you will be old one day too. Lately , when i go to re-charge my recently purchased iPhone 6s , the phone lights up with "This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPhone." The message is half right - it doesn't work well and charges only very slowly . But it's half wrong too . The charger is the same one that came in the box the phone came in. I'd go to an Apple store , but i live in a small rural town with the nearest Apple store four hours' drive away. Thanks for any help provided.

You normally see this message when you're using counterfeit cables. It's possible that either the cable or the iPhone is faulty. Do you have any other devices you can test the cable on, to determine whether it's your cable or iPhone that could be faulty.

I have had that happen twice, once the battery in the phone was going bad. Another time the apple cord was bad. The cord was hot at the connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for that . Have no other device myself but will test it on my daughter's phone.
funny thing is it works ok some times and not others .

You also might try to restart the phone. That can solve many quirky problems.

Let us know.
Thanks , tried that , didn't work . Charger works some times and not others. It's tempremental

You say you tried a restart. Did you try a hard reset? Hold down the on/off and home button until the apple appears then let go and the phone will reboot, It might help.

You say you tried a restart. Did you try a hard reset? Hold down the on/off and home button until the apple appears then let go and the phone will reboot, It might help.
Thanks and yeah , i did that but it didn't work. But afterwards the charger decided to work . Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't . Guess will just have to live with it if and until it goes on permanent strike and then will have to see if it's the phone or the charger faulty. Thanks again for your response.

Thanks and yeah , i did that but it didn't work. But afterwards the charger decided to work . Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't . Guess will just have to live with it if and until it goes on permanent strike and then will have to see if it's the phone or the charger faulty. Thanks again for your response.
You're welcome.

Throw that charger out, asap. I continued to use mine and eventually it damaged the chip in the phone where it plugs in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk