What's new

Best "certified by Apple" portable phone charger?

pkoryn

Reaction score
Will be travelling soon with my Iphone 5S, and was wondering which portable phone chargers I should be considering for purchase? I know it should be a "certified by Apple" brand - but which ones seem to be the most reliable. I'd also like one that would hold a charge for a couple of months if not used - in case of a power outage while at home. It's confusing to see the different power ratings (is that the correct terminology?) - so I sure would appreciate some expert advice before making a purchase! Thanks in advance.

Old post, but here's my take/experience.

The 5s has an 1.5amp (1560mAh) battery. Since portable chargers are not 100% efficient, to fully charge an 1560mAh battery the charger will have to be at LEAST 2300mAh or larger to fully charge the 5s once.

Just as important as the mAh rating of the portable charger is the efficiency of the portable charger. With most portable chargers I've seen and used, they take 3.7v DC, convert it to AC voltage, step up the voltage, rectify the AC back to 5V DC. This is an extremely common way of stepping up DC voltage, however this process wastes battery power for this process. This is where having an efficient DC to DC converter comes into play.

I've had good luck with Anker portable chargers. They hold a charge for months, which means they are using decent Li-Ion batteries. Efficiency is also ok with the Anker products. I bought Anker portable chargers for my whole family and they all are extremely happy with its performance.