What's new

Portable Charger

chrisnas

Reaction score
I recently purchased a portable charger for my iphone 5s. When I try to charge it, I keep getting a message saying 'this cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably'. I've tried it on 2 friends phones (5s and a 6) and it works fine for both of them. We all have the latest iOs update. What might be causing this?

I deleted your other post, Posting more than once fragments any replies and is also against forum rules.
Thank you and welcome to the forum.

Is this charger an authentic Apple charger? Third party chargers can lack the proper authentication chip that is necessary for proper operation. Without that chip you can get the message you received. As long as that message is displayed, your iPhone will not charge.

Not sure if its authentic or not but it did say it is supported by iphones. The main issue that concerned me is that it worked for 2 other phones, one which was the exact same phone as mine, but did not work on mine

If the charger is certified by Apple, another reason why it's not working could be that it's damaged.

Usually, you get this message when a cable or accessory is not certified by Apple. This feature was introduced with iOS 7, for security reasons. Before, some iPhones using third party cables, caused injuries, even death.

For cables, there's a workaround.
Plug the cable into a wall charger. Then turn off the iPhone. As soon as you see the spinning wheel, plug the cable into your iDevice. The iPhone will turn off completely. Leave it that way for a while, maybe 15 minutes. Then turn it on again, and dismiss the "This cable..." message. It might charge, in spite of the message.
If it's a non-certified accessory, doing this is risking your own security, though.

Another reason, though very unlikely, could be that there's some lint in your iPhone's charging port. Take a look at it, clean the port, and connect the charger once more.

Hope that helps.