What's new

Fake Reviews on the App Store

TheGreatWhiteApe

Reaction score
I Have noticed that a lot of the top app companies are posting a heap of fake reviews when they launch a new game. I think this is a bit dishonest, but I understand how competitive the market is, and how important the first few reviews are to getting your app noticed. Do you guys think that Apple should crackdown harder on this or do you think that it doesn't make too much of a difference. I have also seen a few Indian companies selling reviews for the app store, not great but I guess it is similar to paying for search engine optimisation for a website.

I Have noticed that a lot of the top app companies are posting a heap of fake reviews when they launch a new game. I think this is a bit dishonest, but I understand how competitive the market is, and how important the first few reviews are to getting your app noticed. Do you guys think that Apple should crackdown harder on this or do you think that it doesn't make too much of a difference. I have also seen a few Indian companies selling reviews for the app store, not great but I guess it is similar to paying for search engine optimisation for a website.

It doesn't bother me really, I check for video reviews first anyway, can't ever know how an app plays by text, but you can get gameplay from a video.

There are a few ways to tell, none of them 100%. Firstly if you notice a stack of 5 star reviews all going up on the day of release, also if you click on the name of the reviewers you can see other apps they have reviewed in the past, if you just see this developers apps in there, then that is a good indication it is a fake reviewer. Another good way is to look at the history of the reviews, if the first 5 or so are all 5 star and then everything after this is a 1 star that is a good sign that it was pumped up by fake reviews.

I think apple should crack down on the fake reviews, it would be fair if they did stop them and you could see the real ratings of apps.

How can ne tell if these are fake reviews? Just curious.

Sent from my 64gb iPad

It might not be obvious when someone fakes English reviews, but when someone auto-translates fake reviews for other appstores - this is just clear. [Moderator edit: Removed link to personal blog. Please read the forum rules! Thanks.] Probably the whole process is automated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just look for generic reviews that do not really mention any specifics about the app itself just "love it" or "great app" (not saying all of those are fake). Same thing happens on eBay. I hate it when I get a computer generated feedback....

Another good way to tell is if you spend some hard-earned $$$ on a well-reviewed app and it just sucks.:mad:

It doesn't bother me really, I check for video reviews first anyway, can't ever know how an app plays by text, but you can get gameplay from a video.

Agree, video reviews reflect truth.This is the way I also take before downloading.

idave23 said:
Another good way to tell is if you spend some hard-earned $$$ on a well-reviewed app and it just sucks.:mad:

The most I spent on an application is 5.99 for a radio application. I will not write which one for advertising purposes. I either get the FEEE ones or the .99 cent ones.

Sent from my 64gb iPad 1

Always check for the ratings, comments and reviews of an app before downloading it on your device. Fake app reviews are not so harmful, but some are very harmful and some are funny to read. :retina:

Last edited:
I ignore 5 star ratings and look for 3 star and below ratings. If there isn't anything below 4 stars and there are over 100 reviews, I won't even bother with that app - no app is perfect for everyone.. Oh, and I never download an app on the day it's released.