What's new

Facetime can only see myself?

dynamicdiva

Reaction score
My boyfriend and I both have iPhone4 and we are using our wifi at home, but when we try to initiate a facetime call (just to test it out ;) we can only see ourselves in our respective screens.

Can someone explain this and help us to be able to see each other during the call?

Thanks!

He tried initiating a call to me by first calling me and then when I answer he presses the facetime button. Nothing happens on my end, but his camera turns on and he can see himself. Then I tried pressing the facetime button while on the same call and my camera turns on but I can only see myself. So we can hear each other but we can't see each other, just ourselves. When the screen is in camera mode, there is no option to change the view.

We also tried starting the call by pressing the facetime button instead of the dial button first, but the receiving phone doesn't even ring? Instead I got a little notice that I missed a call after he hung up.

And you are sure your both connected to the wifi? I would call apple and ask a tec they may be able to see the issue or setting that's not right.

Put the person's number in the iphone number box in the edit contacts screen and it should work

Can someone explain this and help us to be able to see each other during the call?

Thanks!

I also cannot get my Facetime to work every time. I'm on wi-fi, the phone is perfect, but Facetime always disappoints. So I and family went to Skype (free) and all is well. Works like a charm, and wonder why Apple can't refine its Facetime program to avoid the many, many questions like yours!