What's new

Facebook News Feed: Refresh Most Recent?

NoBite

Reaction score
I routinely look at Most Recent in my Facebook News Feed. I cannot figure out when that is reset. Sometimes there will be 30 or so entries in Most Recent. Other times, over 200.

Is there a way for us to reset Most Recent, or is this entirely controlled by Facebook?

Does anyone know how or when this is reset?

I kind of like it as is. I can go and first see what's on the newsfeed, then go and tap on most recent and see newer content. I usually have around 120 or so in most recent.

Uh, okay. Thanks, I guess. I appreciate a primer on how to use Most Recent. Still, my questions remain. Anyone know how it is reset? Can we reset it ourselves? For instance, on many forums if you mark all threads Read, then you have just reset New Posts. Curious if there is anything similar for Most Recent.

Uh, okay. Thanks, I guess. I appreciate a primer on how to use Most Recent. Still, my questions remain. Anyone know how it is reset? Can we reset it ourselves? For instance, on many forums if you mark all threads Read, then you have just reset New Posts. Curious if there is anything similar for Most Recent.
Have you asked this question in the Facebook help section? They probably have an answer for you.

Do you mean set "most recent" as default? They used to give a choice. But it always reverted back to "top stories". But I don't even see that anymore. The Facebook client Friendly+ offers these options:
IMG_2975.jpg

No, I am not asking about setting Most Recent as the default over Top Stories. I have a browser extension that does that on my Mac (but not on IOS).

Let me try to explain (again). Let's say I check Most Recent and find it says 50 messages. Ok, so I actually click on that and read way more than the first 50 messages that appear in sequence. I exit Facebook and immediately reopen Facebook. I go back to Most Recent and it still shows 50. The fact that I just read those 50 makes no impact in that number. So, I conclude that my reading them is NOT the factor that resets the number. (i.e. Most Recent does not equal Not Read). I would prefer Facebook to provide us with a Not Read tab, and I am trying to figure out if we can manipulate Most Recent to work that way. At the least, if I know how and when Most Recent is reset perhaps that information will be useful to some extent.

Completely controlled by Facebook.

However, have you tried closing FB and then trying again? I don't mean close, I mean, close close. Double tap home and slide it off closed?

Anyways, I know what you are talking about, but I wasn't able to test. My FB updated yesterday and when I went to test this, I no longer see a number, just a most recent option without the number anymore.

Good thought! But, didn't reset the number. I even scrolled through all Most Recent posts first, then closed and reset Facebook. When I opened it again, same number. [emoji45]

Just tried here too. I have a number now (1), but that 1 wont go away at all, no matter what I try.

Thanks for trying Old Goat. I appreciate your understanding and attempts to help. I guess like all else with Facebook, I'll just cuss at it and wish we had more controls.

It's definitions. Most Recent doesn't mean what you think it means. From Facebook Help:

What's the difference between top stories and most recent stories on News Feed?

News Feed will eventually return to the default Top Stories setting. Learn how to view stories on your News Feed in most recent order.
There are two ways to view stories on your News Feed:
  • Top Stories (Default): Shows the most popular stories from friends, Pages and groups at the top of your News Feed
  • Most Recent: Shows stories from friends, Pages and groups in the order that they were posted

Well, based on what you posted, it means exactly what I think it means. Started with the most recent and goes down, in order, through the posts. I wish I could make this default to be honest. I hate top stories. I miss a lot of posts with top stories.

Thanks, Bear. I did understand that to be the definition. But, what is odd, unnecessary possibly, is that there is a number associated with Most Recent. Why do that? And why is the number different at different times you check in? It begs the question, Most Recent since when? And, if you ask that question, then my original questions in this thread make sense.

Thanks, Bear. I did understand that to be the definition. But, what is odd, unnecessary possibly, is that there is a number associated with Most Recent. Why do that? And why is the number different at different times you check in? It begs the question, Most Recent since when? And, if you ask that question, then my original questions in this thread make sense.
All questions for Facebook.

I had noticed that as well. The number shown in the menu rarely changes much. I suppose it's not necessarily a "new" most recent. Facebook does control what we see too much for my liking. There's too many "suggested" post. I would give up Facebook if not for my grandkids.