What's new

External storage without dedicated app

Rinohawk

Reaction score
hi,
I am new in this forum.
I have an IPhone 8 64gb and an iPad 2017 32gb.
I love to use my action cam and make video with iMovie.
The problem is the iPhone storage.
I do not want to buy another iPad only for the memory, so I am looking for a solution that allow me to use the microsd card from my action cam directly in the iPhone or iPad using iMovie.
Basically I’d like to pick the videos directly via iMovie....
I look in internet, but solutions like leef works only with a dedicated app and it is not clear (but I guess not) if I can use the video stored in the card directly via iMovie.

Any idea?

Kind regards
Rinohawk

32 and 64 GB are way too small for video editing work. I'd consider getting updated with at least 128 GB.

Thanks for the suggestion, but my point is to do not buy another iPhone or iPad and use another technology in order to have more available storage space usable by iMovie?

The problem you will have I believe is that iMovie will only be able to render any movie that is actually stored on the iPad and not on any external storage, and the storage available on both the iPad and iPhone is likely to mean that iMovie will struggle with videos of any significant size.
You may still be ok if you’re only working on quite small videos.

Any external memory you could attach to the iPhone or iPad would only be any good for storing videos either before or after having been edited, not during editing.
You would have to transfer videos into the device to be worked on in iMovie.

If I understand you correctly, you wish to edit videos directly from the SD card, and unfortunately you cannot work directly on anything stored externally.

Last edited:
Hi aerofly,
You got the point.

Thanks for your advice.

And by the way, I discovered iMovie can use files stored in clouds, but of course will copy them in the iPhone to create the final movie.

Sorry to resurrect this thread again, but what’s being discussed here will all be easily available with the introduction of iOS13 and iPadOS13 in the final public release in September.

So don’t despair.....it’s coming!

Sorry to resurrect this thread again, but what’s being discussed here will all be easily available with the introduction of iOS13 and iPadOS13 in the final public release in September.

So don’t despair.....it’s coming!

But 3D Touch is going, so no iOS 13 for me[emoji22][emoji22]