What's new

Extended battery available?

Zeus661

Reaction score
Is there an extended battery available for the iPhone 5 that can be purchased NOW? I am looking for one that attaches permanently to the phone. Not something that I plug into to recharge.

If nothing is available now what do you recommend?

How long does your battery last because the battery for the i5 is pretty descent but one thing I learn is turn off some of your app in notification

I have not received the phone yet but lets put it this way. I currently have a Blackberry Curve with an extended battery. I use it hourly in my job and can go almost 3 days before charging.

Zeus661 said:
I have not received the phone yet but lets put it this way. I currently have a Blackberry Curve with an extended battery. I use it hourly in my job and can go almost 3 days before charging.

Do you really need to go three days before charging?

I know on some longer intercontinental trips I have long periods without sleep but most planes these days have charge plugs. Otherwise, when I sleep and recharge so does the phone.

There are extra battery storage you can buy, but I do not believe you can purchase any battery for iPhone. When the battery dies, you get another phone. I'm new but I'm 99% sure of that.

hookbill said:
There are extra battery storage you can buy, but I do not believe you can purchase any battery for iPhone. When the battery dies, you get another phone. I'm new but I'm 99% sure of that.

iPhone batteries can be replaced, you will be relieved to hear. $79 but there are apparently cheaper sources.

http://www.apple.com/ca/batteries/replacements.html

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

Zeus661 said:
Is there an extended battery available for the iPhone 5 that can be purchased NOW? I am looking for one that attaches permanently to the phone. Not something that I plug into to recharge.

If nothing is available now what do you recommend?

Unfortunately, what you're looking for doesn't exist. All replacement batteries for your iPhone will be of the exact same charging capacity as the one you're using now.

The only option for extending battery life is to use a "Battery Case" of some sort. Those do require recharging individually aside from your iPhone's internal battery.

I had a Mophie case on my iPhone 4, until I dropped it. It saved the iPhone, but trashed the battery. It doubled the battery life, and didn't need to be charged separately. It charged the phone first and then switched over to charging itself.

I doubt they are available for the iphone 5 yet, but I would recommend them as soon as they are.

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

The mophie is a great case. Incipio also offered a battery case for the 4/4S called the "off grid" case. It's worth checking out when available for the 5. It doubled my iPhone 4's battery life for $50. $30 cheaper than the Mophie.

KevinJS said:
I had a Mophie case on my iPhone 4, until I dropped it. It saved the iPhone, but trashed the battery. It doubled the battery life, and didn't need to be charged separately. It charged the phone first and then switched over to charging itself.
Very good!! It's nice that you don't have to charge it separately. Thought it required separate charging. :)