What's new

Emails don't push to iphone

stetherado

Reaction score
I can still receive new mail by opening the mailbox and waiting for it to refresh itself, but I don't get notifications of new emails without doing so. I haven't changed any of the settings. Notifications are turned on, fetch new data is set to push... I nearly missed an urgent email today because I didn't get it until I randomly opened my email folder to check for it. Previously, I was notified of new emails the instant they arrived. Any advice? Please help!

Go to settings> mail, contacts, calendars> fetch new data> push "ON" > advanced> select your email account> select "push"

Go to settings> mail, contacts, calendars> fetch new data> push "ON" > advanced> select your email account> select "push"

Very insightful guidance. Never mind the user is clarifying that "Push" is turned on - granted, he was not as specific to denote that each specific e-mail acct is set to push as well, but I think it's implied, given this is the default for acct setup and his e-mails had been 'pushing' fine prior to that moment.

I too started to have the same problem since the beginning of December (my settings are correct). I've reset the network, called apple, re-applied all the cycled the push settings on/off. It's gotten better in the last couple of days, thus I'm imagining this is an AT&T/Apple problem. Although from calls to both of them, they pretend to not know anything about it while my brother and other friends are experiencing the same.

I have iphone 4 with 5.01 in Miami. Any truly 'insightful' guidance from anyone would be appreciated.

PS: I'm having a similar issue with regular 'in-app' notifications, where they are not coming through until I open app, but that might be app specific issue. I've already contacted the app maker. Of course, I'm sure I won't get a reply. Hopefully, I'll see an updated version within the next few days.

What email service (Gmail, Yahoo, Exchange) are you using?

If you're using the built in email app, go into settings, click on "mail, contacts, calendars", click fetch new data, make sure push notifications are on and scroll down and select how often you want it to fetch emails. I have mine set to every hour.

Very insightful guidance. Never mind the user is clarifying that "Push" is turned on - granted, he was not as specific to denote that each specific e-mail acct is set to push as well, but I think it's implied, given this is the default for acct setup and his e-mails had been 'pushing' fine prior to that moment.

I too started to have the same problem since the beginning of December (my settings are correct). I've reset the network, called apple, re-applied all the cycled the push settings on/off. It's gotten better in the last couple of days, thus I'm imagining this is an AT&T/Apple problem. Although from calls to both of them, they pretend to not know anything about it while my brother and other friends are experiencing the same.

I have iphone 4 with 5.01 in Miami. Any truly 'insightful' guidance from anyone would be appreciated.

PS: I'm having a similar issue with regular 'in-app' notifications, where they are not coming through until I open app, but that might be app specific issue. I've already contacted the app maker. Of course, I'm sure I won't get a reply. Hopefully, I'll see an updated version within the next few days.

Thanks to all that have posted. I actually use Yahoo, Hotmail (Hotmail setup as exchange - works great) and I also use my work e-mail (as exchange).

Thanks for the 'fetch' tip, but I'm not interested on that since 'push' has worked pretty well since I started with iPhone 1 (well, with the exceptions of Apple's iOS version screw ups here and there). I don't know if this was one of them. I think it was a combo b/c my work e-mail (not yahoo related) has always been lighting fast (it's a Lotus Notes setup to synch with iphone via exchange server emulation) - When sitting at my desk I normally hear the e-mail come into my ph 1st and a few seconds later I hear/see the pc's notification.

But I digress: as I was eluding to, I think I figured out the issue (yahoo portion at least) (work email automagically fixed itself and started pushing again, so Idk if Yahoo was d 1 locking everything up).

It occurred to me that I had not logged into Yahoo's web e-mail page in a while and that this might be Yahoo's way of telling me, 'bad boy', we'll hold 'push' for u up untill u come back at least once every 3 months or so (remember those old rules where providers would erase ur msgs if u didn't log in within 90 days for free accts?).

Anywho, I logged in into all of my 5 (or so) Yahoo e-mail accounts linked to my ph and one by one I discovered that Yahoo's new 'facebook' like feature where you get a profile had been 'updated/redesigned' into a new service and I had to 'switch' all the e-mail accts from one type of networking type to the other. In my case, all networking profiles are private and hold no info of any kind but, apparently, Yahoo just cares that you switch them from one type to the other and/or that I log into yahoo web mail more often (so they can get their ad revenue stream going, as they should, given e-mail accts are free).

After the aforementioned steps, all of my emails started 'pushing' automagically - anyone with this issue can try that and see how it goes. This might explain why it works for some users and not for some and why it is so random - it is possibly based on the last time they logged via the web or if they have pending 'upgrades' to the profiles/services. For those who never log in via web, they probably have never experienced the powerful 'instant' push service that yahoo normally provides (at least in my experience over the past 4 years) - I switched from Hotmail e-mails (when iPhone 1) to Yahoo e-mails, precisely for this very helpful feature.

Best of luck to everyone with this issue (and to myself during the next few days - hope I didn't just jinx myself now, lol).

Please advise for the benefit of mankind if your Yahoo e-mail not pushing issue is fixed by logging into yahoo web mail and/or upgrading your yahoo networking profile type.

Last edited:
I just forward my gmail to my .me account and it pushes without fail.