What's new

Email

iHolophyte

Reaction score
Hi
I'm wondering is there a way to delete emails from your iPhone and then this will actually delete it from your email account?
I use to be able to do this on my Sony Ericsson but not on the iphone4. What I mean by this is. I use my phone for all Internet usage including e-mails and i read and delete if need be. But if I go onto my home pc every e-mail is still there. This is good if you accidentally delete an e-mail, but not if I don't use my home pc all week. I've then 3,000 plus e-mails to download and delete. As I've either responded to them on the iPhone or deleted them from the iPhone. Any ideas guys?

Too many "Normal Users" caused enough grief for Apple support that the behavior was actually changed to not delete emails directly. Sadly us "Tech Savy" users now have to go thru an extra step to truly delete an email from the iPhone.

Instead of using the trash can icon, use the folder icon second from the left. Select the trash folder and that will move the email into it. Takes two screen inputs instead of one, but it works.

holophyte said:
Hi
I'm wondering is there a way to delete emails from your iPhone and then this will actually delete it from your email account?
I use to be able to do this on my Sony Ericsson but not on the iphone4. What I mean by this is. I use my phone for all Internet usage including e-mails and i read and delete if need be. But if I go onto my home pc every e-mail is still there. This is good if you accidentally delete an e-mail, but not if I don't use my home pc all week. I've then 3,000 plus e-mails to download and delete. As I've either responded to them on the iPhone or deleted them from the iPhone. Any ideas guys?

Go to email, accounts, your mail, advanced, then choose "delete from server" then choose "when deleted from inbox"

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

That doesn't work on Hotmail accounts due to a recent policy change by Microsoft.

Skull One said:
That doesn't work on Hotmail accounts due to a recent policy change by Microsoft.

It doesn't mention that it is a hotmail account though...

Hi guys thanks for the comments. None of my e-mails are hotmail. Hotmails are school boy stuff lol. My emails are btinternet and orangehome. I'll try both your answers and see if they work and update you. Thanks for the swift answers!

Ok tried both of them. 1st one is the trash can option using the folder instead. This works but only deletes from the phone it still comes through on my email account on the pc. I tried this by sending myself an email from the iPhone picked it up went to folder deleted it. Then went to pc and it came through with sent from iPhone. The 2nd one doesn't have the option in advanced settings to delete from server only options are. Delete after 1 day, 1 week, 1 month or never. So I've set it for 1 day. I will send an email again and see if it deletes from server as well after 1 day This is pretty poor if it works as it should really have the option for immediate. But 1 day is better than no option I suppose. I'll see how I get on. Thanks once again.

holophyte said:
Ok tried both of them. 1st one is the trash can option using the folder instead. This works but only deletes from the phone it still comes through on my email account on the pc. I tried this by sending myself an email from the iPhone picked it up went to folder deleted it. Then went to pc and it came through with sent from iPhone. The 2nd one doesn't have the option in advanced settings to delete from server only options are. Delete after 1 day, 1 week, 1 month or never. So I've set it for 1 day. I will send an email again and see if it deletes from server as well after 1 day This is pretty poor if it works as it should really have the option for immediate. But 1 day is better than no option I suppose. I'll see how I get on. Thanks once again.

Funny that your phone has different settings than mine but I am from Canada and with telus carrier and this setup works well for me as I had the same issue. Hope you find a solution.