What's new

Email settings.

iHolophyte

Reaction score
I have 3 of my emails set up on my iPhone and now very rarely use my laptop. Trouble with this is when I do go on the laptop I fire up my email accounts I can have 300 in each which I've either deleted or addressed via my phone. Long and short is. Is there a way that when I do delete from my phone it actually deletes from the server and then saves my laptop having to download them all again, or is this just a safe guard by apple should you delete something by mistake on the phone? I think we should be given the option to delete, or delete from server.

I'm not jail broke either.

Sent from my iPhone 4 iOS 5 using Tapatalk

You have to go into the advanced settings of each email account. Under there you can adjust the delete setting, if allowed (IE Hotmail doesn't have that extra setting). Unfortunately, you can only make it happen by the day not immediately. Apple does that as a safety net due to user complaints.

You have to go into the advanced settings of each email account. Under there you can adjust the delete setting, if allowed (IE Hotmail doesn't have that extra setting). Unfortunately, you can only make it happen by the day not immediately. Apple does that as a safety net due to user complaints.

Yes I have tried this. Set it to delete after 1 day, but there still there on my laptop email ( outlook express) a week later. I think the delete after 1 day/week/month is only for the phone.

For grins and giggles, lets try a different approach.

1) Launch Mail.
2) Get to the Mailboxes screen (master/1st screen).
3) Scroll to Accounts section.
4) Select your account.
5) Select Inbox.
6) Select Edit.
7) Select each email you want to delete.
8) Select Move.
9) Select Trash.
10) Check in Outlook Express.

Lets make sure that works and then if that does, it is just a matter of tracking down how to streamline this for your needs.

For grins and giggles, lets try a different approach.

1) Launch Mail.
2) Get to the Mailboxes screen (master/1st screen).
3) Scroll to Accounts section.
4) Select your account.
5) Select Inbox.
6) Select Edit.
7) Select each email you want to delete.
8) Select Move.
9) Select Trash.
10) Check in Outlook Express.

Lets make sure that works and then if that does, it is just a matter of tracking down how to streamline this for your needs.

Ok what I've done is
Sent an email from my phone to one of my used emails

Picked it up from my phone and done each of your steps above.

I'll leave it 1 day and fire up my emails on the laptop to see if it's there.

I'm hoping your plan works.

I'll let you know 😄

Actually you can check it now :). I went this route because I have a feeling it is instant.

Actually you can check it now :). I went this route because I have a feeling it is instant.

Yes just found by doing it this way I had 184 deleted messages on one email box. That I still had to physically delete. I'll try tomorrow though as more emails pop through and I'll get home from work and turn the laptop on. I'm sure this is going to work though I have every confidence in you!
Thanks for the answer I owe ya one 😄

Update. It doesn't work. Did all of the above. Been doing it all day today as well. Come home switch on the laptop. Opened up outlook and there all still there. That's after manually trashing them too, so don't have to wait a day. Any idea?

Ok. Now I am STUMPED.

Putting on the dwelling cap.....

Does this still do that, because mine doesn't. I think it depends on what email you have, ie gmail yahoo or love.

Does this still do that, because mine doesn't. I think it depends on what email you have, ie gmail yahoo or love.

It does and it doesn't. If I physically delete them from here they pop up in my laptop email server account. If I leave them on here they don't pop up on my laptop. It's bizarre really. Email accounts I have are btinternet and orange world.

iHolophyte

Hmmm...because I have a gmail account and a live account synced, but the live does have this problem and the gmail doesn't. Whenever I want to delete an email, i just archive it using the archive selected option, because the delete option doesn't work at all. It just deletes the email on the phone, and not on the account itself.