What's new

Email 'Push' and Battery

5er driver

Reaction score
Does the 'Push' option contribute to battery drain even if there is no new mail to push? I know that 'Fetch' does because the mail app, or phone, actually seeks new mail on a schedule as if you were checking for mail manually.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF.net

Last edited:
Push pings the server constantly for updates, therefore it's pushing data to you all the time. Fetch only pings the server on the schedule you assign it, such as, every 5 min. 30min or just when you open the mail app. In other words, Push uses the most battery and manual fetch uses the least. I keep mine set with, Push off, and fetch set to Manual. If someone needs me quickly, they can call me. And my battery last several days without recharging.

Fetch has to poll the server at a a preset interval, using additional battery power at each poll. For Push, the phone only has to be sitting there in receive mode, waiting for something to come in - just like waiting for a phone call or text. Push uses no more battery than the normal phone state. The "push" part comes from the remote server sending (pushing) a notification signal to your phone.

DaveM said:
Fetch has to poll the server at a a preset interval, using additional battery power at each poll. For Push, the phone only has to be sitting there in receive mode, waiting for something to come in - just like waiting for a phone call or text. Push uses no more battery than the normal phone state. The "push" part comes from the remote server sending (pushing) a notification signal to your phone.

Is this true?