What's new

Email attachments

dstanford

Reaction score
If I don't "tap to download" an email attachment, will the iphone still save the email with the attachment view-able?

Welcome to iPhone Forums!

„Tap to download“ shows the image(s) in the Mail app. They will take storage space on your iPhone, but they are not downloaded to the iPhone. If you want to download and save them to the built in Photos app, you‘ll have to tap and hold the image after downloading, until this appears:
766AB35D-0579-4502-A332-4903B32F4485.jpeg

Select „Save Image“ to get it to your photos.

thank you! So if someone were to hack the phone with a device, they wouldn't be able to see the attached media unless you had pressed "tap to download" and already downloaded it?

thank you! So if someone were to hack the phone with a device, they wouldn't be able to see the attached media unless you had pressed "tap to download" and already downloaded it?
If you have a good password on your device, it won’t be hacked.

If you have a good password on your device, it won’t be hacked.
It's an old iphone with no passcode...I was just wondering about an external device accessing the phone and how an email with an attachment would show up if the attachment was never downloaded

It's an old iphone with no passcode...I was just wondering about an external device accessing the phone and how an email with an attachment would show up if the attachment was never downloaded
My advice would be to set a passcode on it. Unless you’ve signed out of your email account. Anyone who has access to your iPhone can read all your emails, attachments included.

I understand that. I have already set a passcode on it. I just use it as basically an ipod, but it still connects to the wifi and gets emails and things. I lost it in the yard at my brother's house the other night, and his neighbor is super sketchy and I think has one of those devices to make a copy or clone a cell phone. The phone showed back up in the driveway like two days later. I'm just wondering If the SQLite database got scanned, would a sent email that hasn't been accessed on the phone and the attachment not downloaded still be visible there?

It is virtually impossible to break into one of the newer iPhones (from 5s onwards) with a passcode on it, unless it’s jailbroken.

If there wasn’t a passcode in use when you lost it, it’s data and images can be accessed easily, and no one would need a special tool to break into it.