What's new

EBook Apps Compatibility

fg12351

Reaction score
Hey all, iphone 4 newb here.

I had a question regarding the ebook apps for iphone 4 (ibooks, kindle, nook, etc.).

I'm a big reader and want to start using my iphone to purchase books to read and store them as opposed to buying actual books. My question is, are the formats of the readers compatible? Can you use them to read books you purchased with the other ebook apps?

If I buy a book through ibooks\kindle\nook, can i read it in one of the other readers such as ibooks\kindle\nook in case I like one more than the other? I'm asking in case I want to switch or can't decide which I like more.

My wife also has an iphone 4 and we may be looking at an ipad 2 in the spring. Can you share books between devices? Do you get x amount of licenses per book?

Do the books get backed up in Itunes in each format?

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

FG12351

Hey all, iphone 4 newb here.

I had a question regarding the ebook apps for iphone 4 (ibooks, kindle, nook, etc.).

I'm a big reader and want to start using my iphone to purchase books to read and store them as opposed to buying actual books. My question is, are the formats of the readers compatible? Can you use them to read books you purchased with the other ebook apps?

If I buy a book through ibooks\kindle\nook, can i read it in one of the other readers such as ibooks\kindle\nook in case I like one more than the other? I'm asking in case I want to switch or can't decide which I like more.

My wife also has an iphone 4 and we may be looking at an ipad 2 in the spring. Can you share books between devices? Do you get x amount of licenses per book?

Do the books get backed up in Itunes in each format?

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

FG12351

My wife and I share ebooks. She started the whole thing off by buying a kobo reader. My daughter has kindle and, ipad and iphone4, and I have iphone4 ibook. We can share kobo and kindle books. To share, you must sign on the account that you use to purchase these books. You can also remove the DRM, and then free to transfer the book to other devices. As for ibook (apple's ebook store), the only way to share is to sign on the account that purchased it. You cannot remove DRM.